Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hard Disk Performance issues Suse 11 SP1 Post 302845623 by Peasant on Thursday 22nd of August 2013 02:47:35 AM
Old 08-22-2013
It's hard to tell without access to server.

You might want to check the iostat output on the machine.
If the values are high, check the machine for processes doing intensive disk operations.

Also, you might want to check on your storage if the actual spindles (physical disks) are being shared to some other hosts doing intensive I/O.

Check the FC switch port for possible errors.

Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk Performance Issues

Hi All, I'm facing an issue in my awk script. The script is processing a large text file having the details of a number of persons, each person's details being written from 100 to 250 tags as given below: 100 START| 101klklk| ... 245 opr| 246 55| 250 END| 100 START| ... 245 pp| 246... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgp_acc1
4 Replies

2. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Hard disk write performance very slow

Dear All, I have a hard disk in solaris on which the write performanc is too slow. The CPU , RAM memory are absolutely fine. What might be reason. Kindly explain. Rj (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
9 Replies

4. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GCC on suse 10 SP1

hi guys I use rpm -qa to find installed packages in red hat centos.... but how to do it in Suse 10 SP1 for instance? specifically I need to find if gcc installed thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Getcwd performance issues

Hello everyone, recently we have been experiencing performance issues with chmod. We managed to narrow it down to getcwd. The following folder exists: /Folder1/subfol1/subfol2/subfol3 cd /Folder1/subfol1/subfol2/subfol3 truss -D pwd 2>&1 | grep getcwd 0.0001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KotekBury
4 Replies

7. SuSE

Personal SUSE build installation issues.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160725/0174562490859032f68430fb0fa216cd.jpg I have created a personally made SUSE-based distro using susestudio.com and it will install just fine on my laptops (32-bit Acer Aspire One ZG5 and MacBook 4,1). However, when installing on an old Emachine desktop, I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheOuterLinux
6 Replies
IOSTAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 IOSTAT(8)

NAME
iostat -- report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [-CdDITx] [-c count] [-M core] [-N system] [-w wait] [drives] DESCRIPTION
iostat displays kernel I/O statistics on terminal, disk and CPU operations. By default, iostat displays one line of statistics averaged over the machine's run time. The use of -c presents successive lines averaged over the wait period. The -I option causes iostat to print raw, unaveraged values. Only the last disk option specified (-d, -D, or -x) is used. The options are as follows: -c count Repeat the display count times. Unless the -I flag is in effect, the first display is for the time since a reboot and each sub- sequent report is for the time period since the last display. If no wait interval is specified, the default is 1 second. -C Show CPU statistics. This is enabled by default unless the -d, -D, -T, or -x flags are used. -d Show disk statistics. This is the default. Displays kilobytes per transfer, number of transfers, and megabytes transferred. Use of this flag disables display of CPU and tty statistics. -D Show alternative disk statistics. Displays kilobytes transferred, number of transfers, and time spent in transfers. Use of this flag disables the default display. -I Show the running total values, rather than an average. -M core Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core instead of the default ``/dev/mem''. -N system Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the default ``/netbsd''. -T Show tty statistics. This is enabled by default unless the -C, -d, or -D flags are used. -w wait Pause wait seconds between each display. If no repeat count is specified, the default is infinity. -x Show extended disk statistics. Each disk is displayed on a line of its own with all available statistics. This option overrides all other display options, and all disks are displayed unless specific disks are provided as arguments. Additionally, separate read and write statistics are displayed. iostat displays its information in the following format: tty tin characters read from terminals tout characters written to terminals disks Disk operations. The header of the field is the disk name and unit number. If more than four disk drives are configured in the sys- tem, iostat displays only the first four drives. To force iostat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the com- mand line. KB/t Kilobytes transferred per disk transfer t/s transfers per second MB/s Megabytes transferred per second The alternative display format, (selected with -D), presents the following values. KB Kilobytes transferred xfr Disk transfers time Seconds spent in disk activity cpu us % of CPU time in user mode ni % of CPU time in user mode running niced processes sy % of CPU time in system mode id % of CPU time in idle mode FILES
/netbsd Default kernel namelist. /dev/mem Default memory file. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), netstat(1), nfsstat(1), ps(1), systat(1), vmstat(1), pstat(8) The sections starting with ``Interpreting system activity'' in Installing and Operating 4.3BSD. HISTORY
iostat appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The -x option was added in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
March 1, 2003 BSD