Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove all files except the subdirectory(without pattern) in a directory Post 302845329 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 21st of August 2013 09:17:17 AM
Old 08-21-2013
I've had problems with the suggested rm -r because it will follow symbolic links out to other filesystems. Imagine what fun we had when we ran that from /opt/BOB/new only to find that there was a link to /usr/lib contained within it. Yes, it went off an cleared that too. Good thing we didn't have a link to /dev, /usr or /.

If you have few enough files, you could:-
Code:
for object in *
do
   if [ -f $object ]
   then
      rm $object
   fi
done

This tests that the item is a file. It will not traverse down directories though. Do you want to do that too, or does the above suffice?

If you have lots of files, then you may have to write a stronger loop. We can get to that if you need it.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files in directory and its subdirectory

I am writing a script which reads a file line by line and then assigns it to a variable like this 1090373422_4028715212.jpg. I have images with file name of this format in some other directory. In my script I want to assign variable with this file name and then find this filename in some other... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotib
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a pattern of files in one directory into other with new pattern names...

Hi, I have to copy a set of files abc* in /path/ to /path1/ as abc*_bkp. The list of files appear as follows in /path/: abc1 xyszd abc2 re2345 abcx .. . abcxyz I have to copy them (abc* files only) into /path1/ as: abc1_bkp abc2_bkp abcx_bkp .. . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to remove subdirectory

I need to remove subdirectories that are empty and I've not done this before. First I am going through the files to remove old records. Then if the directory is empty I want to delete it. There are files in /direcotry/images/fs* - 0-9 and a-z The fs* directories need to stay, but any directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: janel10
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move all files in a directory and subdirectory?

I'm trying to organize my MB Pro by moving all my jpeg files to a single folder from the desktop. There are some on the desktop that are not in any folder. I was at the command line and typed mv *.jpg "Jpeg files" but it only moved the files that were on the desktop, not any of the ones that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files not in a directory into a subdirectory named for each given file

Hi Everyone! Looking for some help with a script that will take all files in any given root folder (which are not already in a folder) and put them into separate folders with the name of each given file. Any ideas? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DanTheMan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46 Any ideas how can we do this? :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakerock
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46Any ideas how can we do this? Got a sun cluser global mount point which takes ages to mount everytime, need to understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing ownership of a directory, subdirectory and files as same as in another server

accidentally i have changed ownership of a directory,subdirectory and files wil below command. I want to the change ownership back as same as in same directory on another server. How can i do it? chown -R user:group /u01 is there any simple script? it is really an urgent need.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbling files in the direct subdirectory of the current directory

I want to list files that end with .c in the direct subdirectory of the current directory. I have tried the following command: find ./ -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name "*.c" Is that right? Or is there any easier way to handle that problem? Another problem is that I want to grep in a file to find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing & removing files in a directory & subdirectory

Hi, I want a simple line of code that will compress files within a directory specified (parameter) and its subdirectories and also i want to remove files which are exactly 365 days old from the sysdate after this compression. Please help. Thanks, JD (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
8 Replies
cc(1B)						     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						    cc(1B)

NAME
cc - C compiler SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc [options] DESCRIPTION
/usr/ucb/cc is the interface to the BSD Compatibility Package C compiler. It is a script that looks for the link /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc to the C compiler. The /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc link is available only with the SPROcc package, whose default location is /opt/SUNWspro. The /usr/ucb/cc interface is identical to /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc, except that BSD headers are used and BSD libraries are linked before base libraries. The /opt/SUNWspro/man/man1/acc.1 man page is available only with the SPROcc package. OPTIONS
The /usr/ucb/cc interface accepts the same options as /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc, with the following exceptions: -Idir Search dir for included files whose names do not begin with a slash (/) prior to searching the usual directories. The directo- ries for multiple -I options are searched in the order specified. The preprocessor first searches for #include files in the directory containing sourcefile, and then in directories named with -I options (if any), then /usr/ucbinclude, and finally, in /usr/include. -Ldir Add dir to the list of directories searched for libraries by /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc. This option is passed to /usr/ccs/bin/ld and /usr/lib. Directories specified with this option are searched before /usr/ucblib and /usr/lib. -Y P, dir Change the default directory used for finding libraries. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful compilation or link edit. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/usr/ccs/bin/ld link editor /usr/lib/libc C library /usr/ucbinclude BSD Compatibility directory for header files /usr/ucblib BSD Compatibility directory for libraries /usr/ucblib/libucb BSD Compatibility C library /usr/lib/libsocket library containing socket routines /usr/lib/libnsl library containing network functions /usr/lib/libelf library containing routines to process ELF object files /usr/lib/libaio library containing asynchronous I/O routines ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ld(1), a.out(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The -Y P, dir option may have unexpected results and should not be used. SunOS 5.11 24 Feb 1998 cc(1B)