Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract First and matching word from string in UNIX Post 302844356 by krishmaths on Monday 19th of August 2013 02:31:30 AM
Old 08-19-2013
Code:
 awk '{a=$1;} gsub(/\(/, " (") gsub(/\)/, " )") {for(i=2;i<=NF;i++) {if(substr($i,1,5)=="$dwh.") a=a" "substr($i,6)}} {print a}' file.sql

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie: how to extract an unknown word from a string

hi, im quite new to perl regexp. i have a problem where i want to extract a word from a given string. but the word is unknown, only fact is that it appears as the second word in the string. Eg. input string(s) : char var1 = 'A'; int var2 = 10; char *ptr; and what i want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract single or multi word string in Cshell

I am using the following code: set LASInputFile = `ls *. | head -1` set COMPLine = `grep -i :COMPANY $LASInputFile` to extract the following line from my input file: COMP. XYZ Public Company :COMPANY NAME I now need to extract the full name of the company which... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string in unix and print whole matching word

Hi I have requirement to search string starting with specific characters and print whole matching word in that string. example mystr="ATTRIBUTE NAME="Event Name" VALUE="Execute"" I want to search by passing "NAME=" and result should be NAME="Event Name". i am using below command but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to extract a word or string.

I am working with the ksh shell in HP UNIX and I am attempting to extract a word, beginning with a particular string and ending at the first space. for example I want to extract the word or string MS_RECENT_ACTIVITY from the following string " This has been entered in MS_RECENT_ACTIVITY the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpletech369
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract last word and a number from a string

I have the following script (which I made by my self) #!/bin/bash # add a few empty lines to make it more legible # add a date description on each update interval echo "" >> /home/user/DYN_DNS_IP_change.log echo "" >> /home/user/DYN_DNS_IP_change.log echo "" >>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahirzukic2
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from another string in UNIX

I have a string string="Please have a nice day and sleep well Replace_12123_31233_32134_12342 Good day" How do i replace "Replace_12123_31233_32134_1234" in the above string.?? Please help. Regards, Qwerty (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to extract word from a string

Hi All, I have a word and from that word would like to search for certain set of string, is there any command to do so ? EX : Components from the above word, would like to search for strings set and extract the search string and then do if stmt... pon nen ent Com say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all text between the same matching string from a given column

Hello All, I have an input sample data like below (In actual I have many columns and few million rows). Column1,Column2 4,2 1,5 Hello,4 1,4 Hello,2 3,5 Hello,8 4,5 Need the output (using awk and/or sed preferably) like below. Here I need all the lines between 2 matching... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract XML block around matching search string?

I want to extract XML block surrounding search string Ex: print XML block for string "myapp1-ear" surrounded by "<application> .. </application>" Input XML: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <deployment-request> <requestor> <first-name>kchinnam</first-name> ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get string before specific word in UNIX

Hi All, I'm writing unix shell script and I have these files. I need to get name before _DETL.tmp. ABC_AAA_DETL.tmp ABC_BBB_DETL.tmp ABC_CCC_DETL.tmp PQR_DETL.tmp DEF_DETL.tmp JKL_DETL.tmp YUI_DETL.tmp TG_NM_DDD_DETL.tmp TG_NM_EEE_DETL.tmp GHJ_DETL.tmp RTY_DETL.tmp output will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)