Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with a script
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Help with a script Post 302843470 by Monkeygrenades on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 12:07:42 PM
Old 08-13-2013
Thanks for the fast response Robin!
I don't think I explained what I was needed all that well, so the response you gave wasn't able to help, but is appriciated all the same!

right now the file is called USERS.REF.BAK and it has a format similar to this
mark.wallace15 Mark Wallace
jimi.johns Jimmy Franks
sand.which Sand Which

Names have been changed to protect my classmates identities! Smilie

I just want to be able to add to the bottom of the list a new username and matching name to accompany it Smilie

Thank you again for the first response as well as anything else you might be able to help with!
Robert

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
ARES_PARSE_NS_REPLY(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    ARES_PARSE_NS_REPLY(3)

NAME
ares_parse_ns_reply - Parse a reply to a DNS query of type NS into a hostent SYNOPSIS
#include <ares.h> int ares_parse_ns_reply(const unsigned char *abuf, int alen, struct hostent **host); DESCRIPTION
The ares_parse_ns_reply function parses the response to a query of type NS into a struct hostent. The parameters abuf and alen give the contents of the response. The result is stored in allocated memory and a pointer to it stored into the variable pointed to by host. The nameservers are stored into the aliases field of the host structure. It is the caller's responsibility to free the resulting host struc- ture using ares_free_hostent(3) when it is no longer needed. RETURN VALUES
ares_parse_ns_reply can return any of the following values: ARES_SUCCESS The response was successfully parsed. ARES_EBADRESP The response was malformatted. ARES_ENODATA The response did not contain an answer to the query. ARES_ENOMEM Memory was exhausted. SEE ALSO
ares_query(3), ares_free_hostent(3) AUTHOR
Written by Vlad Dinulescu <vlad.dinulescu@avira.com>, on behalf of AVIRA Gmbh http://www.avira.com 10 February 2007 ARES_PARSE_NS_REPLY(3)