Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Look for a file,if not found wait and look again Post 302839531 by kshji on Friday 2nd of August 2013 12:27:11 AM
Old 08-02-2013
bash, ksh:
Code:
cd somedatasrcdir
alldone=0
cnt=0
MAX=1000
while ((  alldone==0  ))
do

ok=1
        ((cnt+=1))
        msg=""
        while read file
                if [ ! -f "$file" ] ; then
                        ok=0
                        msg="$msg $file"
                fi
        do < filelist.txt

((  ok==1     )) && alldone=1 && continue
        ((  cnt>MAX )) && alldone=1 && continue

sleep 60
done

if ((  ok==0  )) ; then
        echo "file(s): $msg not received" | mailx ...
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lock a file. AND Wait if file is locked

Hi, I want to do the foll steps: 1. Check if someone has a lock on my file1. 2. if file1 is locked by any other user wait in a loop till another user releases lock 3. when lock released, lock file1. 4. do procesing (write) on file1. 5. processing complete. release lock on file1. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunil_neha
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the File Age and wait for that...

Hi, I want to know my file is 1 hr 30 min old or not, If 1 hr 30 min old I will do some tasks in that file.. other wise I will wait to 1 hr 30 min and then do the tasks.. how to do it in Unix script? any idea? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron wait on dynaminc trigger file

I have to schedule a script in cron that watch for a trigger file named as xyz_extract_file_20081201.null (the YYYYMMDD portion would change every day). The wait/wakeup time would be 1 min and the date portion will always be current date (Eg., the trigger file named as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharaj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

event or file wait scenario

i want to do 2 things 1) i should wait for a file called A.txt to fall on a specific path on the server 2) once the file arrives immediately another script called B.sh should be executed. Could you please throw somelight on this. Any code if already present that would be helpful. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_tns
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files one at the time and wait until the previous file is handled

I'm a novice at unix and need it more and more to do my work. I seem running into problems getting this script "attempt" to work: I need to copy all files in a directory, which is containing 22000 files, into a directory one level up. There a tool monitors the content of the dir and processes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compasscard
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to wait until file is updated

Hello, I need to evaluate (under BASH) if the certain file has been updated or not. If the file still wasn't updated, script should wait. The script picks up the time stamp of the file using command OldTimestamp=$(date -r $MyDir/$MyFile), but I don't know how to code a waiting loop with new and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for file to get copied in server path and then proceed

Hi, I have a requirement to create below script: Script must run infinitely in background. It will check a particular type of file to be copied in specific folder of server Script must wait till any file gets fully copied ..(important) and then It will read that file Experts please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikash163
4 Replies
wait(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
[pid] DESCRIPTION
If no argument is specified, waits until all processes (started with of the current shell have completed, and reports on abnormal termina- tions. If a numeric argument pid is given and is the process ID of a background process, waits until that process has completed. Other- wise, if pid is not a background process, exits without waiting for any processes to complete. Because the system call must be executed in the parent process, the shell itself executes without creating a new process (see wait(2)). Command-Line Arguments supports the following command line arguments: The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, whose termination is to wait for. WARNINGS
Some processes in a 2-or-more-stage pipeline may not be children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), wait(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wait(1)