Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to redirect the output of a command inside ftp block? Post 302837473 by Little on Friday 26th of July 2013 12:31:07 AM
Old 07-26-2013
How to redirect the output of a command inside ftp block?

hi,

i am using ftp to get files from remote server. inside the ftp i want to us ls -ltr command and send the output of it to a file.

Code:
ftp -n remote_server <<_FTP
    quote USER username
    quote PASS password
    prompt noprompt
    pwd
    ls -ltr
    get s1.txt
    bye
_FTP

i want to get the output of only ls -ltr command to be stored in a file and not the other commands like pwd and get.

is it possible to redirect the output of only ls -ltr command into a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect command output to variable

Hi, I am looking for a way to redirect the result from a command into a variable. This is the scenario. Using the find command I will be getting multiple records/lines back. Here is the command I am using: find /”path”/ -name nohup.out -print This now is giving me the paths and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output of FTP

Hi, I call the FTP command from within a script. The call to FTP looks like this : ftp -n -i -v < $com >> "$logfile" Where $com is a commandfile and I want the output to be redirected to $logfile. If I do this call at the prompt it works perfect. (replacing the variables by there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcaluwae
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP inside a block of code

I need help on the code below. I am getting a compile error syntax error at line 283 : `<<' unmatched Looks like it doesn't like the << on the ftp line below. If I ran the code outside of this block everything work fine, but when I put in a block of code or in a function, I got syntax error. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output of dos2unix command

hi I want to suppress the output of dos2unix command in my shell script. I'm using follwing command in my script dos2unix somefile >/dev/null But it's still showing output while executing the script.Please help me to sort this out Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How redirect script output from inside of script?

Is it possible to redirect a script output by command inside of that script? I mean, if I have a script 'dosome.sh' I could run it by >dosome.sh > dosome.log I would dream to get some command inside of scrip to do the same; so, running the dosome.sh would have all output redirected to a log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Command inside If condition

Hi All, I am facing a alien problem in unix shell script. i have a requirement where i have to check first whether a particular file has been created or not if that file has been created then that file needs to be ftped to a particular dir. My Code is like that Success='code for file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryan_styles
3 Replies

8. AIX

Not able to redirect output of command

Hi All,. We are using AIX as the OS to host the Oracle ERP. We have a command FNDLOAD which is used to load setups. When this command is run, it outputs names of log files and any errors to the screen. I am trying to redirect this output to a file because we have large number of these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansmaan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use chmod command inside ftp block?

hi, i want to use chmod command inside ftp. so that what ever files are transfered to the local server will hav 664 permission. if i use chmod inside ftp , the file permissions gets changed in the remote server and when the file is transffered to local server using get command, it does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of a command to a variable during ftp mode?

Hi, How can I redirect the output of a following command to a variable. ftp myservername ftp> user (username) guptaji 331 Password required for guptaji. Password: ftp> size /home/salil/abc.dat ftp> a='size /home/salil/abc.dat' ?Invalid command I want to redirect value of size to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Salil Gupta
1 Replies
bup-ftp(1)						      General Commands Manual							bup-ftp(1)

NAME
bup-ftp - ftp-like client for navigating bup repositories SYNOPSIS
bup ftp DESCRIPTION
bup ftp is a command-line tool for navigating bup repositories. It has commands similar to the Unix ftp(1) command. The file hierarchy is the same as that shown by bup-fuse(1) and bup-ls(1). Note: if your system has the python-readline library installed, you can use the <tab> key to complete filenames while navigating your backup data. This will save you a lot of typing. COMMANDS
The following commands are available inside bup ftp: ls [-s] [-a] [path] print the contents of a directory. If no path argument is given, the current directory's contents are listed. If -a is given, also include hidden files (files which start with a . character). If -s is given, each file is displayed with its hash from the bup ar- chive to its left. cd dirname change to a different working directory pwd print the path of the current working directory cat filenames... print the contents of one or more files to stdout get filename localname download the contents of filename and save it to disk as localname. If localname is omitted, uses filename as the local name. mget filenames... download the contents of the given filenames and stores them to disk under the same names. The filenames may contain Unix filename globs (*, ?, etc.) help print a list of available commands quit exit the bup ftp client EXAMPLE
$ bup ftp bup> ls mybackup/ yourbackup/ bup> cd mybackup/ bup> ls 2010-02-05-185507@ 2010-02-05-185508@ latest@ bup> cd latest/ bup> ls (...etc...) bup> get myfile Saving 'myfile' bup> quit SEE ALSO
bup-fuse(1), bup-ls(1), bup-save(1), bup-restore(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-ftp(1)