Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Writing input data in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing input data in file Post 302837313 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of July 2013 01:41:52 PM
Old 07-25-2013
You have to give -v for every variable.

Code:
awk -v var1 -v var2

Or you could feed them into awk the old fashioned way, with the filenames, like

Code:
awk '{...}' var1="$value1" var2="$value2" inputfile > outputfile

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for a perl script - writing to a data file

Hi, Here is my problem.. i have 2 files (file1, file2).. i have wrote the last two lines and first 4 lines of "file2" into two different variables .. say.. my $firstrec = `head -4 $file2`; my $lastrec = `tail -2 $file2`; and i write the rest of the file2 to a tmpfile and cat it with head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Help- Writing Data into a File

Hi All, I need to maintain a AUDIT file in system for every incoming and outgoing file. For this i am trying to append a record by using the AWK every time the file arriving. I have used the code as below. AWK '{print "FILENAME IS", $1,"DATE IS", $2}' >> AUDITFILE.txt $1 and $2 are global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raamc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing data in a text file at particular line

I need to write value of variable $version at a particular line in a text file. Line number is determined by another variable &line......I don't know how to do it in shell script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
2 Replies

4. Programming

writing binary/struct data to file

I am trying to write binary data to a file. My program below: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> struct tinner { int j; int k; }; struct touter { int i; struct tinner *inner; }; int main() { struct touter data; data.i = 10; struct tinner... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to take input from file, match on it in file 2 and input data

All, I am trying to figure out a script to run in windows that will allow me to match on First column in file1 to 8th Column in File2 then Insert file1 column2 to file2 column4 then create a new file. File1: 12345 Sam 12346 Bob 12347 Bill File2:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darkoth
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in writing the data to a file in one row

Hi All I am reading data from the database and writing to temporary file in the below format. 1=XP|external_component|com.adp.meetingalertemail.processing.MeetingAlertEmail|EMAILALERTPUSH|32|4#XP |classpath|/usr/home/dfusr/lib/xalan.jar: /usr/home/dfusr/lib/xerces.jar: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from DataBase and Writing to a file

Hi All, Please help me in writing data to a file in one row. In database there is a column which contains large data which does not fit in the file in one row. The column contains list of paths. I want to write these paths to a file in one row. Please find the code below writes : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a script to create a new text file with specific data from existing two files

Hi, I have two text files. Need to create a third text file extracting specific data from first two existing files.. Text File 1: Format contains: SQL*Loader: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Aug 4 21:06:34 2010 some text ............so on...and somwhere text like: Record 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi143ibm
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating data in columns and writing them to new file

I have a file that contains records in the below format: 23857250998423948239482348239580923682396829682398094823049823948 23492780582305829852095820958293582093585823095892386293583203248 23482038509825098230958235234230502958205983958235820358205892095... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellhelp
10 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)