Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Shell ${1:-/etc/hosts} meaning Post 302834569 by Don Cragun on Friday 19th of July 2013 09:10:39 AM
Old 07-19-2013
If no arguments are passed to this script or if the 1st argument passed to this script is an empty string, the shell variable filename will be set to "/etc/hosts"; otherwise the 1st argument passed to the script will be assigned to filename.

So, if your script is named some and you invoke it as:
Code:
./some
    or as
./some ""

then filename will be set to /etc/hosts, but if you invoke it as:
Code:
./some /etc/motd

then filename will be set to /etc/motd.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of .& in shell

Hi , can anyone explain me the meaning of following line ". &13FNAME/version_encours/cfg/dfm.cfg" Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpio
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of & in sh shell

All, I have a line in my code like below , could any one please tell me what this actually mean what is the & doding there. I am in sh shell #!/bin/sh .............. mv &fname &III.tar.gz Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script which logins to hosts

By a shell script When I am logging into hosts one by one with ssh. I am getting below message. Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal. stty: : Invalid argument stty: : Invalid argument Can you please suggest what should I do to stop this? ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Communication between different hosts through shell scripts.

1) I have two scripts named as a.sh,b.sh running two different hosts host1 and host2 2) So now how to execute b.sh on host2 from a.sh on host1 3) Also I have few queries regarding the same as I want to execute few commands with sudo and with different user in script b.sh so how this can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
2 Replies

5. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to 100s of hosts with password in a shell script or text file

I have about 500 hosts where I need to ssh by sending the password on the command line or in a text file in a clear text . However I am not able to download "sshpass" or other tools . Any other ways to pass the password in a script ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH to remote hosts in shell scripting

Hi There, I have a file contaning some 100 servers names one by one the file called redhat_servers.txt I want to prepare a script where it should give me the host name and kernal version. I wrote like this, #!/bin/bash while read line do ssh $line "uname -nr" done <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements - for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'` do smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuklajayb4
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of =~ in shell script

Please let me understand the meaning of following line in unix bash scripting .is =~ means not equal to or equal to . if ]; then echo -e "pmcmd startworkflow -sv ${INTSERV} -d ${INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN} -uv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_USER" \ "-pv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_PASSWORD -usdv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry00514
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
MOTD.TAIL(5)						   Debian Administrator's Manual					      MOTD.TAIL(5)

NAME
motd.tail - Template for building the system message of the day DESCRIPTION
On Debian systems, the system message of the day is rebuilt at each startup, in order to display an accurate information. /etc/motd.tail is the file to edit permanent changes to the message of the day. OVERVIEW
The initiation script /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh prepends a line containing information about the system to /etc/motd.tail and stores the resulting file in /var/run/motd. /etc/motd is a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. This is done to prevent changes to /etc as the system can not assume /etc to be writable. Changes to /etc/motd effectively end up in a file under /var/run which will be regenerated upon reboot. A symbolic link to a different file, such as /etc/motd.static disables this behaviour. FILES
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh The initiation script which builds /var/run/motd /etc/motd Symbolic link to the system message of the day at /var/run/motd /etc/motd.tail Template for building the system message of the day /var/run/motd System message of the day file rebuilt at each computer start SEE ALSO
login(1), issue(5), motd(5). Debian 2007-04-28 MOTD.TAIL(5)