Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cleaning up incorrect/unknown characters Post 302831959 by m69w on Friday 12th of July 2013 10:04:15 AM
Old 07-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
Its more a question of knowing Input format (seems UTF ) and needed format on your unix/linux and doing a translation of char codes...
I'm using UTF-8 on the destination (Linux Mint), just like on input. Not sure what charset woud be more appropriate to set before transferring the files. Any suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
No wildcards needed, look at how UTF8 works, simply remove any characters >=128.

Code:
tr -d '\200-\377' < inputfile > outputfile

Doesn't work, but thanks for the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Replace with what?
Ideally with the correct corresponding character, but a space or some other default character is also ok

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

doing some spring cleaning....

USERS="me you jim joe sue" for user in ${USERS}; do rmuser -p $user usrdir=`cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` rm -fr `cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` echo Deleting: $user '\t' REMOVING: $usrdir done This is for AIX ONLY!!! but easily ported to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Database cleaning software

Hi everybody, I have been given a task to find the names of some products that can clean up databases by removing confidential information. The situation is that a client imports data from public sources (government websites, etc.) but that this data sometimes includes things like Social... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhfrommn
0 Replies

3. SCO

Tape drive cleaning

Hello everyone, First, thank you anyone who might be able to help : ) !! here it is, I am using SCO at my business, and I back up everything to a tape drive. I want to do my cleaning of the drive, and i put in the cartridge to the drive, it recognizes it yet it will not engage the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardHeadd
5 Replies

4. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK Data Cleaning

Hello, I am trying to analyze data I recently ran, and the only way to efficiently clean up the data is by using an awk file. I am very new to awk and am having great difficulty with it. In $8 and $9, for example, I am trying to delete numbers that contain 1. I cannot find any tutorials that... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: carmar87
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File cleaning

HI , I am getting the source data as below. Source Data CDR_Data,,,,, F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6 5,5,6,7,8,7 6,6,g,,, 7,7,76,,, 8,8,gt,,, 9,9,df ,d,d,d ,,,,, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wangkc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning the file

Hi, I have a file with multiple rows. each row has 8 columns. Column 8 has entries separated by commas. I want to exclude all the rows in which column 8 has more than 3 commas. 1234#0/1 - ABC_1234 3 ATGCATGCATGC HHHIIIGIHVF 1 49:T>C,60:T>C,78:C>A,76:G>T,65:T>G Thanks, Diya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaning output using awk

I have some small problem with my code. data.html <TD class="statuscol2">c</TD> <TD class="statuscol3">18</TD> <TD class="statuscol4"><SPAN TITLE="#04">test4</SPAN></TD> <TD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies
Foreign(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							Foreign(4)

NAME
Foreign - Logs contact attempts from unknown systems SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/uucp/.Admin/Foreign DESCRIPTION
The /usr/lib/uucp/.Admin/Foreign file lists access attempts by unknown systems. The /usr/lib/uucp/remote.unknown shell script appends an entry to the Foreign file each time a remote computer that is not listed in the local /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file attempts to communicate with that local system. Someone with superuser authority can customize entries in the Foreign file to fit the needs of a specific site by modifying the remote.unknown shell script. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample entry in the Foreign file: Wed Sep 20 20:38:22 CDT 1989: call from the system merlin System merlin, which is not listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file, attempted to log in on September 20 at 10:38 p.m., but the uucp pro- gram did not allow the unknown system to log in. FILES
Describes access permissions for remote systems Describes accessible remote systems Records contacts from unknown systems in the Foreign file Contains the Foreign file and other uucp administrative files RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: uucp(1), uudemon.cleanu(4), uux(1) Daemons: cron(8), uucico(8), uuxqt(1) delim off Foreign(4)