Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding Special Character in Vi Post 302831169 by bobbygsk on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 10:41:29 AM
Old 07-10-2013
/\W searches all "W" in the file. Not able to find special character or non-word characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep in special character

All, I am trying to grep "-----" from a test when i use this i am getting the below error. What is the reason for this ?????... How can i over come this ##) echo "----------------- test_sys_job -----------------" | grep "-----------------" grep: illegal option -- - grep: illegal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal value for special character

I am seeing an special character in my file when i do the cat filename | od-bc I see a value of 376 for that special character. I would like to find the decimal value for the character. For example the decimal value for ctrl-Y is char(25). Appreciate help on this. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special character

Hi, How to use * in call to pl/sql block from shell script? The line "select * from" is causing all files and directiores to show up in email notification but if I give all column names then it works, Please let me know how to use '*' instead of giving all column names, in other wirds how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
LOCATE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOCATE(1)

NAME
locate -- find files SYNOPSIS
locate [-d dbpath] pattern DESCRIPTION
locate searches a database for all pathnames which match the specified pattern. The database is recomputed periodically, and contains the pathnames of all files which are publicly accessible. Shell globbing and quoting characters (``*'', ``?'', ``'', ``['' and ``]'') may be used in pattern, although they will have to be escaped from the shell. Preceding any character with a backslash (``'') eliminates any special meaning which it may have. The matching differs in that no characters must be matched explicitly, including slashes (``/''). As a special case, a pattern containing no globbing characters (``foo'') is matched as though it were ``*foo*''. Options: -d dbpath Sets the list of databases to search to dbpath which can name one or more database files separated by ``:'', an empty component in the list represents the default database. The environment variable LOCATE_PATH has the same effect. EXIT STATUS
locate exits with a 0 if a match is found, and >0 if no match is found or if another problem (such as a missing or corrupted database file) is encountered. FILES
/var/db/locate.database Default database /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb Script to update database. SEE ALSO
find(1), fnmatch(3), weekly.conf(5) Woods, James A., "Finding Files Fast", ;login, 8:1, pp. 8-10, 1983. HISTORY
The locate command appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
April 5, 2003 BSD