Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding Special Character in Vi Post 302831145 by bobbygsk on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 09:39:46 AM
Old 07-10-2013
Finding Special Character in Vi

Hi,

I have special characters in a file in unix which has many xml messages that comes from Messaging Queue. The loading process to the database failed due to special characters. Initially I could not able to detect it when I copy/paste in Windows editor as each line has more than 1000 characters.

So I sent the file as an email to outlook and opened it in Textpad and copied one line and pasted it in XML notepad. Then I could able to detect it.

I want to search special characters in vi editor in unix. My version of unix is AIX xxxxxxxxx 1 6 00F736154C00

For Example, lets say my file has the following content. How to find special characters that is not visible in the keyboard.
Code:
Èsldfkjsd
sdlfkjsdlfk
lskdfjsldfj
slskdfjsldfk
flsdkfjsl©
sdlfkjsdlk
lsdkfjs
sldfksdjlfk£
sljfshl
lsjdfkdj
sldkfjsldk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep in special character

All, I am trying to grep "-----" from a test when i use this i am getting the below error. What is the reason for this ?????... How can i over come this ##) echo "----------------- test_sys_job -----------------" | grep "-----------------" grep: illegal option -- - grep: illegal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal value for special character

I am seeing an special character in my file when i do the cat filename | od-bc I see a value of 376 for that special character. I would like to find the decimal value for the character. For example the decimal value for ctrl-Y is char(25). Appreciate help on this. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special character

Hi, How to use * in call to pl/sql block from shell script? The line "select * from" is causing all files and directiores to show up in email notification but if I give all column names then it works, Please let me know how to use '*' instead of giving all column names, in other wirds how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
SETQUOTA(2)							System Calls Manual						       SETQUOTA(2)

NAME
setquota - enable/disable quotas on a file system SYNOPSIS
setquota(special, file) char *special, *file; DESCRIPTION
Disc quotas are enabled or disabled with the setquota call. Special indicates a block special device on which a mounted file system exists. If file is nonzero, it specifies a file in that file system from which to take the quotas. If file is 0, then quotas are disabled on the file system. The quota file must exist; it is normally created with the quotacheck(8) program. Only the super-user may turn quotas on or off. SEE ALSO
quota(2), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8) RETURN VALUE
A 0 return value indicates a successful call. A value of -1 is returned when an error occurs and errno is set to indicate the reason for failure. ERRORS
Setquota will fail when one of the following occurs: [ENOTDIR] A component of either path prefix is not a directory. [EINVAL] Either pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set. [EINVAL] The kernel has not been compiled with the QUOTA option. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of either pathname exceeded 255 characters, or the entire length of either path name exceeded 1023 characters. [ENODEV] Special does not exist. [ENOENT] File does not exist. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating either pathname. [EPERM] The caller is not the super-user. [ENOTBLK] Special is not a block device. [ENXIO] The major device number of special is out of range (this indicates no device driver exists for the associated hardware). [EROFS] File resides on a read-only file system. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of either path prefix. [EACCES] File resides on a file system different from special. [EACCES] File is not a plain file. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file containing the quotas. [EFAULT] Special or path points outside the process's allocated address space. BUGS
The error codes are in a state of disarray; too many errors appear to the caller as one value. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1985 SETQUOTA(2)