Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regex for filename in grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex for filename in grep Post 302827877 by RudiC on Monday 1st of July 2013 04:26:46 AM
Old 07-01-2013
What is not working? Are you sure to present the correct files to grep? Are you sure the contain your keyword? Why don't you post meaningful error msgs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of regex on grep

having a look on the regex site I saw that characters can be search using hex values http://www.regular-expressions.info/characters.html So I try to use it whith grep to find a è on a string (octal Decimal Hexa : 350 232 E8) but it doesn't work E.g. /usr/bin/echo '\0350' | egrep '\xE8' ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solea
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

correct syntax for using "grep regex filename" ?

I'm trying to grep a long ls by looking at the beginning of each filename for example: Many files begin with yong_ho_free_2005... Many files begin with yong_ho_2005... I can't just use "grep yong_ho" otherwise It'll display both files. So I'm trying to use a regex but my syntax is wrong. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with Regex help!

Hello everybody, I'd like to know how is it I should write a regex in unix to match a string not followed by another string (anywhere in the line). To be more specific, I want to find lines where "drop table" is found, but not followed anywhere in the line by the character "&". For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grep and regex

Hi all, I'm a beginner with linux, regex, grep, etc I am trying to get data out of a file that has about 13,000 lines in this format name - location I want to grep all the names out to one file and the locations to another so I can put them into a spreadsheet. Some have hyphenated... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: raichlea
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -v and regex

How to match lines that don't contain a patern in regex it self, without using the -v option of grep? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between grep .* file name and grep '.*' filename

Hi, Can anyone let me know what is difference between grep .* foo.c grep '.*' foo.c I am not able to understand what is exact difference. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep in regex

Hello guys, Here i am writing a script in bash to check for a valid URL from a file using regex This is my input file http://www.yahoo.commmmmm http://www.google.com https://www.gooogle.co www.test6.co.in www.gmail.com www.google.co htt://www.money.com http://eeeess.google.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regex

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a grep command to match the following pattern from a file: <EGS>10234567<EGS> I used this following command to do this: grep -E '^<EGS>{8}<EGS>' test.txt In output I got: <EGS>10234567<EGS> Till now it work, but if I add something at the end of the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Regex - get filename tags, labels and descriptions

Hi, I am trying to switch from windows to linux. I have been using Autohotkey scripts for some little things. I started writing some bash scripts for NEMO browser in linux mint and I am trying to convert some of AHK scripts but as I am not a programmer. I have a hard time with regex stuff. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bishop
3 Replies
APROPOS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						APROPOS(1)

NAME
apropos, whatis -- keyword search whatis documentation databases SYNOPSIS
apropos [-d] keyword ... whatis [-d] keyword ... DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility searches a set of databases looking for documentation matching each keyword and displays the results. The whatis utility does the same search but only on complete words. -d Print extra debugging information. The keyword is simply passed to grep(1) allowing for extended regular expression matches. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of apropos: MANLOCALES, MANPATH, PATH Used to find the location of the whatis database files. See manpath(1) for additional information. PAGER Program used to display files. If unset, more -s is used. DIAGNOSTICS
The apropos utility exits 0 if a keyword matched and 1 if no keywords are matched or no whatis databases are found. SEE ALSO
grep(1), makewhatis(1), man(1), manpath(1), man.conf(5) BSD
September 1, 2010 BSD