Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function open() sets errno
Top Forums Programming Function open() sets errno Post 302826993 by DGPickett on Thursday 27th of June 2013 05:10:58 PM
Old 06-27-2013
Well open() returns an integer, which if -1 means errno is set to tell you what you did wrong. It sounds like your access in not good. You can set errno to zero before and test afterward. The nature of errno is that it is only set for errors, not reset on success. I usually:
Code:
if ( 0 > ( fd = open( file_name_ptr, O_RDONLY ))){
    perror( file_name_ptr );
    exit( 1 );
  }

This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function to test if file is open

I need to write a function that will work in sh/ksh shell that will test to see if a file has already been opened for writting by another user has anyone written something like this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsonbryce
3 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Clouds (Partially Order Sets) - Streams (Linearly Ordered Sets) - Part 2

timbass Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:07:53 +0000 Originally posted in Yahoo! CEP-Interest Here is my follow-up note on posets (partially ordered sets) and tosets (totally or linearly ordered sets) as background set theory for event processing, and in particular CEP and ESP. In my last note, we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

(lmgrd) Can't open /usr/tmp/.flexlm/lmgrdl.4081, errno: 24

We are a tool vendor and one of our users is getting this error. The user is using several macrovision(FLEXLM) license enabled products including ours. (lmgrd) Can't open /usr/tmp/.flexlm/lmgrdl.4081, errno: 24 At this time, it stops checking out licenses, and will not respond to query's.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

4. Programming

errno

Hey, Can I assume that for certain function calls, errno can never be set to a certain value. More specifically, can I assume that for if the stat function call fails, the errno can never be or "No space left on device." I am assuming that a read function cannot fail because of no space... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Sybase help: Open client, bcp function

To begin: I use Linux The Problem: I need bcp functionality for scripts. Perl modules, such as Sybase:xfer, require ctlib which comes with Sybase Open Client. Talking with Sybase sales reps is an exercise in futility and hate. They know absolutely nothing about their own products and will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
0 Replies

6. Programming

Open function of sys/stat.h

If a process already has the entire file locked for read and write using newstruct.l_type = F_WRLCK; what would happen if another process would try to open it in read only mode using open(filename, O_RDONLY); ? I want to check if the file exists and I want it to work even if another process has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help !! perl open function

Help Please perl Gurus, I am trying to add ungrouped passengers in a group and I creating a script however it fails on first step only I tried all the options it returns following error. syntax error at junki line 4, near "open " Execution of junki aborted due to compilation errors. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open file function

Hello all, just a quick little part of code i'm writing to check if the file i'm writing too in my automatic process is not being written too manually. #!/bin/bash FUSER=$(/sbin/fuser -s /toto.tmp >/dev/null 2>&1) LSOF=$(/usr/sbin/lsof | grep -q "toto.tmp") PGREP=$(pgrep -f "toto.tmp" >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
mq_unlink(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      mq_unlink(3)

NAME
mq_unlink - Removes a message queue (P1003.1b) LIBRARY
Realtime Library (librt.so, librt.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <mqueue.h> int mq_unlink ( const char *name); PARAMETERS
*name Specifies a pointer to the pathname of a message queue. DESCRIPTION
The mq_unlink function removes a message queue named by the pathname. After a successful call to this function, subsequent calls to the mq_open function fail if they specify the queue identified by the name argument and the O_CREAT flag is not set. Close the connection to the queue with a call to the mq_close function before calling the mq_unlink function. If one or more processes have the message queue open when mq_unlink is called, destruction of the queue is postponed until all references to the message queue are removed. In this situation, the mq_unlink function returns immediately, without waiting for all queue references to be closed. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, the function returns the value 0 (zero); otherwise, the function returns the value -1, sets errno to indicate the error, and the message queue remains. ERRORS
The mq_unlink function fails under the following conditions: [EACCES] Permission is denied to unlink the message queue. [ENAMETOOLONG] The length of the name string exceeds {NAME_MAX} while {_POSIX_NO_TRUNC} is in effect. [ENOENT] The named message queue does not exist. Additionally, any error that can be returned by the open or fstat file system calls can be returned by the mq_unlink function. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: mq_close(3), mq_open(3) Guide to Realtime Programming delim off mq_unlink(3)