Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting command output to a file in a shell script Post 302826279 by Just Ice on Wednesday 26th of June 2013 09:14:53 AM
Old 06-26-2013
try this and let us know if it works ...

script > /dir/log 2>&1
in your script, do
Code:
#! /bin/ksh

admin=admin@some.com

some_command 
some_script 
some_command
some_script

if [ -f /dir/log ]
then
      cat /dir/log | mailx -s 'logfile for script is ready' $admin 
else
     echo "script has no entries in /dir/log up to this point" >> /dir/log
fi

exit 0

or ...

you can just create one big function in your script and redirect the output for that function into one log file ...
Code:
#! /bin/ksh

admin=admin@some.com

myfunction(){
    some_command 
    some_script 
    some_command
    some_script
}

myfunction > /dir/log 2>&1
echo "i'm done"

if [ -f /dir/log ]
then
      cat /dir/log | mailx -s 'logfile for script is ready' $admin
      echo "i am done. report emailed to $admin" 
else
     echo "script has no entries in /dir/log up to this point"
fi

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting SQL output from within a shell script

Hi all I would like to open a SQL session from within a shell script and then redirect the output of the SQL command to a file. e.g. #!/bin/bash sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF @$HOME/recovery_space.sql EOF I want to redirect the output of the SQL command to a temp file, because... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem redirecting output of command to variable

Hi. I'm a newbie in scripting and i have this problem: i want to use the 'fuser' command on a file to tell if it's being accessed (for my purposes: still being written). I want to save the output of the command and later compare with the 'not being used' result. the script: #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nunovc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output of a command to a file

Hi We are having a requirement where one shell script, say a.sh (which uses Java and connects to Oracle database using JDBC) keeps on running everytime. I created a wrapper (to check whether a.sh is running and if not then to start it) and scheduled it in the crontab. Now all the output from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitgoel
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting command output as well as commands

I have a Bourne Shell script that is normally run as a background job and redirects it's output to a file internally (using exec >>); I use "set -x" to capture each command which provides me with a nice shell execution log if it all goes to pieces. I now also need to be able to also run this as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AncientCoder
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting the script output to more than 1 file

Hi, I want to redirect my script output to more than one file without printing the result to the screen. How to do that? ex: echo "hi" >> a.txt b.txt cat a.txt hi b.txt :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format options while Redirecting output of sql to a file in shell

In my korn shell - I have a sql with say 6 columns whose output i am redirecting to a file and attaching this file while sending a mail. While all this happens correctly, i face issues in the format of this file. my intended output is Column_1 Column_2 Column_3 Column_4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
7 Replies

9. Programming

Redirecting output to new file for command "perldoc perllocal"

Hi, I have to redirect output of the command "perldoc perllocal" to new file which contains all the perl module installed. Currently using perldoc perllocal >> mod_data This does not contain all perl modules installed locally on machine, and each character is doubled. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies

10. Programming

Writing a UNIX shell script to call a C function and redirecting data to a .txt file

Hi, I am complete new to C programming and shell scripting. I just wrote a simple C code to calculate integral using trapezoid rule. I am prompting user to pass me No. of equally spaced points , N , upper and lower limit. My code looks as follows so far: #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhjh
2 Replies
network-admin(1)					      General Commands Manual						  network-admin(1)

NAME
network-admin - Network Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
network-admin [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
network-admin is part of the GNOME system tools, a set of tools to easily access and manage system configuration. network-admin allows you to specify the way your system connects to other computers and to the Internet. OPTIONS
--display=DISPLAY X display to use network-admin also accepts the standard GNOME and GTK options. AUTHORS
network-admin was written by Carlos Garnacho Parro <garnacho@tuxerver.net> and others. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
services-admin(1), shares-admin(1), time-admin(1), users-admin(1), gtk-options(7), gnome-options(7) The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2007-05-08 network-admin(1)