Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to increase root space from another partition? Post 302818917 by alister on Sunday 9th of June 2013 10:50:53 PM
Old 06-09-2013
It can be done, if the partition to be grown is followed, on-disk, by the partition to be subsumed.

resize2fs(8) - Linux man page

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ran out of space on /dev/root partition

hi, I have a SCO unix server which has a 36gb hard drive, but the IT company who supplied it assigned 1gb to /dev/root, 15mb to /dev/boot and 33gb to /dev/u. The /dev/root partition is now full, is there a way I can use the 33gb assigned to /dev/u without loosing any data, preferably... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space for root partition

Hello, I am trying to monitor disk space for each node on the machine. I am able to get all individual nodes but for the '/' node. For example: df -k: bash-2.05b# df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/xxx 4127108 2415340 1502120 62% / /dev/yyy ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

3. Solaris

how to increase size of the root partition

Hi we have a sunfire v880 server . we have a problem with root partion it showing 90% full. so anyone can help me how to increase the size of that partion. NOTE: It is not in veritas & SVM control. Regards prakash (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pshelke
6 Replies

4. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Increase root partition by moving starting cylinder

I am trying to expand the root partition on Solaris 10. I can expand root partition using format/partition command, but usually increasing cylinders on partition is done on back end. In this case I would have to expand from the front end following the table below, meaning I would have to move the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjaminal
12 Replies

6. Red Hat

Increase root partition in LVM

I have a RHEL6 guest running on vmware esx server and the root disk size is 30G and i increased the disk size and create another partition /dev/sda3 but i do not know how to increase the size of the VG and then intrun LV .. can anyone help me on this . fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

increase root partition

i am using redhat 5.4 and my root size shows 98 %, how can i increase root size # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 77G 16G 75G 98% / /dev/sda1 2.4G 82M 2.2G 4% /boot tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Increase the / partition

Hi all im new to solaris and i got the task to increase the size of the / partition. its solaris 9 update6 running in a vmware esxi. i already added space on the VM, when im trying the "growfs" command im gettings error. see attached picture: http://i.imgur.com/9ywWLNN.png thanks for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy3145
5 Replies

9. Solaris

How to use space in /tmp to increase root?

Hello All, I have solaris server running, uname -a SunOS host 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 8.7G 1.0G 90% / /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s3 4.3G 7.7M 4.2G ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
17 Replies

10. Red Hat

Listing files/space used on root partition

For instance, root partition is full so I don't need to know about /ABC/XYZ when /ABC/XYZ is a separate mount point. (But /ABC isnt). Can I run a du command or similar and just look at contents effecting the space on that mount point (/)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies
dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)					      System Manager's Manual					      dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)

NAME
dtc_kill_vps_disk - destroy LVM disks for freeing space SYNOPSIS
dtc_kill_vps_disk VPS_NUMBER [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_kill_vps_disk This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to delete a partitions that was used by a VPS. It will delete the normal partition that was used as a root disk, and the swap partition. dtc_kill_vps_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 lvm This will delete the 2 LVM partitions that were used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being the root partition, and the second one being the swap partition. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_kill_vps_disk See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_setup_vps_disk(8) dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)