Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Egrep issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Egrep issue Post 302816797 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 03:17:26 PM
Old 06-04-2013
The asterisks would need to be escaped from shell, but also from grep:
Code:
grep -Ei "\*\*(yes|no)\*\*" file

Unless the -F option is used. Try:
Code:
grep -Fie '**yes**' -e '**no**' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

How can i make something like if (echo "$arg2" | egrep -s '^+\.+km/h+$|^+km/h+$'); then not to output the value of $arg2 on the screen, evertime i get match it outputs the value of the variable on the screen which i don't need to do. I know for grep its -q option but it doesn't work for egrep.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vozx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with egrep

I have a file called alert.log containing the following: WARNING: received KRVX_OPER_CANNOT_SUPPORT knlldmm: gdbnm=CROOP knlldmm: objn=23793 knlldmm: objv=1 knlldmm: scn=5189816456 knllgobjinfo: MISSING Streams multi-version data dictionary!!! knlldmm: gdbnm=FDROP knlldmm: objn=49385... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: akDBA
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

Hi there, Im having some issues using egrep, I have a text file containing server logs: the user imputs 2 arguments, which are error checked and made into $searchMonth $searchYear respectivley. I then do the grep command: egrep /$searchMonth/ $file | egrep /$searchYear: | wc -l ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darklight
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on egrep

Hi there, How many multiple values can be in egrep for seraching? i am giving more values but i am getting the error like Unknown error. My input in extended to 2nd line. my command is like below. egrep -i -h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegExp and egrep issue

I would like to to catch the ip at the following line with egrep and regexp: ip = 192.9.110.20 and I built the following regexp to do it: (?<=ip\s=\s)\S+ when I check it with regexp simulator, it works but when I use it in the following egrep command it doesn't work - egrep -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: datrigger
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

hi, i'm using egrep -i to search thru some text files for keywords (also stored in a file). egrep does wildcard search aka %keyword% as long as the keyword is found, it will be spool to a file meaning if keyword is 'xyz' 123 aabgdggjxyzslgj 124 xyzgjksgjd returns 123... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bing
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using egrep.

I have a text file which has the content starting with "....." Not able to filter out lines staring with "....." Is there anything wrong with grep stagement ?? .....processing table 2 of 2 .....migration process started at 2012-10-04 05:00:28 .....estimated # of rows 169,830... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue when using egrep to extract strings (too many strings)

Dear all, I have a data like below (n of rows=400,000) and I want to extract the rows with certain strings. I use code below. It works if there is not too many strings for example n of strings <5000. while I have 90,000 strings to extract. If I use the egrep code below, I will get error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies
scrl(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    scrl(3XCURSES)

NAME
scrl, scroll, wscrl - scroll a window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int scrl(int n); int scroll(WINDOW *win); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); PARAMETERS
n number and direction of lines to scroll win pointer to the window in which to scroll DESCRIPTION
The scroll() function scrolls the window win up one line. The current cursor position is not changed. The scrl() and wscrl() functions scroll the window stdscr or win up or down n lines, where n is a positive (scroll up) or negative (scroll down) integer. The scrollok(3XCURSES) function must be enabled for these functions to work. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
clearok(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 scrl(3XCURSES)