Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Recursively search the string from a column in no. of files Post 302810603 by RudiC on Wednesday 22nd of May 2013 07:22:17 AM
Old 05-22-2013
Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

How about (untested!)
Code:
awk 'FNR == NR {X[$5]; next}
     FNR == 1  {found = 0}
     !found    {for (i in X) if (match ($0, i) {print FILENAME; found = 1; break }
    ' FS="," keyword.csv FS=" " *.pl

If your awk has sth like nextfile, use that instead of break ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and return value from column

Dear All I had below mention file as my input file. 87980457 Jan 12 2008 2:00AM 1 60 BSC1 81164713 Jan 12 2008 3:00AM 1 60 BSC2 78084521 Jan 12 2008 4:00AM 1 60 BSC3 68385193... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string dublicates in column

Hi I have a file with one column. There are a few replicas in this column, that is some lines look exactly the same. I want to know the ones that occur twice. Inputfile.xml "AAH.dbEUR" "ECT.dbEUR" "AEGN.dbEUR" "AAH.dbEUR" "AKZO.dbEUR" ... Here I would like to be informed that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lulle
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a search string recursively in files

Hi , I have a directory structure as dir and subdirectories and files under it and so on.now I need to find the files which contain the search string under every dir and subdir and replace . my search string is like searchstring=/a/b string to be replaced=/a/c/b please help. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in a column by a string

Hi All, My file looks like : hsdhj dsajhf jshdfajkh jksdhfj jkdhsfj shfjhd shdf hdsfjkh jsdfhj hdshf sdjh dhs foot dsjhfj jdshf dasfh jdsh dsjfh jdfshj david Now, I want to search entire column by a string... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

5. Linux

Search files recursively

grep pattern filename To search for the pattern in all files in the current directory and the sub-directories recursively, what needs to be substituted in filename? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search/Replace in multiple files recursively

Hi there, I am using AIX and trying to search and replace a string with another string in multiple files in different directories. I wanted to search replace in steps so I don't change all of the instance anywhere in the server at once, minimizing impact. STEP 1: -------- I first searched... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaino22
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string in multiple files and display column wise

I have 3 files. Each of those files have the same number of records, however certain records have different values. I would like to grep the field in ALL 3 files and display the output with only the differences in column wise and if possible line number File1 Name = Joe Age = 33... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in column using variable: awk

I'm interested to match column pattern through awk using an external variable for data: -9 1:751343:T:A -9 0 T A 0.726 -5.408837e-03 9.576603e-03 7.967536e-01 5.722312e-01 -9 1:751756:T:C -9 0 T C 0.727 -5.360458e-03 9.579447e-03 7.966977e-01 5.757858e-01... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
APROPOS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						APROPOS(1)

NAME
apropos, whatis -- keyword search whatis documentation databases SYNOPSIS
apropos [-d] keyword ... whatis [-d] keyword ... DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility searches a set of databases looking for documentation matching each keyword and displays the results. The whatis utility does the same search but only on complete words. -d Print extra debugging information. The keyword is simply passed to grep(1) allowing for extended regular expression matches. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of apropos: MANLOCALES, MANPATH, PATH Used to find the location of the whatis database files. See manpath(1) for additional information. PAGER Program used to display files. If unset, more -s is used. DIAGNOSTICS
The apropos utility exits 0 if a keyword matched and 1 if no keywords are matched or no whatis databases are found. SEE ALSO
grep(1), makewhatis(1), man(1), manpath(1), man.conf(5) BSD
September 1, 2010 BSD