Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamic Variable data problem Post 302809855 by Don Cragun on Monday 20th of May 2013 11:55:10 PM
Old 05-21-2013
Let me see if I have this straight. You define the variables STATE, END, CYAN, and SERSTAT in a shell script. Then you define a function named ServerStop that uses the values of the above variables that were defined before the function is defined (and those values are never updated). The script never invokes the function it has defined.

What output did you expect to be produced by defining a function that you never call?

If you want the value of STATE to change, you need to redefine the value of the variable.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic variable values

Bit of a newbie :D with regard to unix scripting and need some advice. Hopefully someone can help with the following: I have a predefined set of variables as follows: AAA_IP_ADD=1.1.1.1 BBB_IP_ADD=2.2.2.2 I have a funnction call which retrieves a value into $SUPPLIER which would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronnie_uk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable assignment

Hi All, I have the below scenario: A file test.cfg with three fields>> DATA1 DATA2 DATA3 In the script I need to assign each of the fields to variables. The number of fields will not be constant (this case we have three). Im trying to do something like this: NUM=1 OUT_DAT_NO=3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variable name

I found one post in another site with a solution for my problem the below solution should explain what I want. #!/bin/sh first="one" second="two" third="three" myvar="first" echo ${!myvar} But this gives error 'bad substitution' System info SunOS sundev2 5.9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Dynamic variable

I need some variable help TEMP1=Jane TEMP2=Sue X=1 eval USER=TEMP${X} echo $USER This gives output USER1 I would like to get Jane I have tried eval USER='TEMP${X}' eval USER="TEMP${X}" eval USER=`TEMP${X}` (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variable value assignmnet

QUERY IN BRIEF Listing the query in short #! /bin/csh -f #say i have invoked the script with two arguments : a1 and 2 set arg = $1 # that means arg = a1 echo "$arg" #it prints a1 #now what i want is: echo "$a1" #it will give error message :a1 undefined. #however what i need is that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic file name in variable

Hi guys. i have a requirment as below. I have a scripts which perform for loop for i in /backup/logs -- it will give all the logs file SC_RIO_RWVM_20120413064217303.LOG SC_RIO_RWXM_20120413064225493.LOG SC_RIO_RXXM_20120413064233273.LOG ... do open script.sh ---- in this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash, Dynamic Variable Problem >.<

Hello, I have a problem with a bash script, I've been doing recherches but i can't make it work. It is my first time with a dynamic variable and i don't understand how to write it. #!/bin/bash USER=BARSPIN HOTKEYS_PATH="/home/$USER/Documents/bash/tibia/HOTKEYS" CFG1="A" CFG2="B"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barspin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing dynamic variable within another variable.

I have a small program which needs to pass variable dynamically to form the name of a second variable whose value wil be passed on to a third variable. ***************** Program Start ****************** LOC1=/loc1 PAT1IN=/loc2 PAT2IN=/loc3 if ; then for fpattern in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyril Jos
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic Variable creation

I am trying to create some variables based on the input by the user, say if user entered 3 then 3 variables and if 5 then 5 variables. I am using a for loop for (( i=1; i <= $num; i++ )) do x="num" x+=$i done When i am using echo $x it will show num1 but now how to create variables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable name in bash

Hello, I'm trying to build a small script to store a command into a dynamic variable, and I have trouble assigning the variable. #!/bin/bash declare -a var1array=("value1" "value2" "value3") var1arraylength=${#var1array} for (( i=1; i<${var1arraylength}+1; i++ )); do mkdir... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies
TransferFunct(3U)					    InterViews Reference Manual 					 TransferFunct(3U)

NAME
TransferFunct - transfer function base class SYNOPSIS
#include <Unidraw/transfn.h> DESCRIPTION
A transfer function defines relationships between state variables. A component uses a transfer function to enforce dependencies between its state variables during dataflow. State variables whose values change as a result of data flowing into the component can thus affect the component's dependent state variables as defined by its transfer function. A transfer function can define dependencies between any number of state variables, but a component can define only one transfer function. PUBLIC OPERATIONS
virtual void Evaluate(Path* = nil) Enforce the transfer function's dependencies between its state variables, optionally depending on the information in a path. This operation does nothing by default. virtual TransferFunct* Copy() Return a copy of the transfer function. Subclasses redefine this operation to return an instance of their type. virtual void Read(istream&) virtual void Write(ostream&) Read and write the transfer function's contents to a stream to support catalog operations. Read and write typically call first the corresponding operations defined by their parent class, and then they read or write their class-specific state. virtual ClassId GetClassId() virtual boolean IsA(ClassId) GetClassId returns the unique class identifier for the TransferFunct subclass, while IsA returns whether the instance is of a class or subclass corresponding to the given identifier. IsA typically checks the given identifier against the instance's own (as defined by its GetClassId operation) and, failing that, calls its parent classes' IsA operation. All subclasses must redefine GetClassId and IsA to ensure that their identifiers are unique and that instances are written and read properly. PROTECTED OPERATIONS
TransferFunct() The constructor is protected to prevent instantiation. virtual Connector* GetBinding(StateVar*) Return the connector to which a state variable is bound. SEE ALSO
Catalog(3U), Component(3U), Connector(3U), Creator(3U), Path(3U), StateVar(3U) classes(3U), istream(3C++), ostream(3C++) Unidraw 6 August 1990 TransferFunct(3U)