Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Taking part of one file name and putting it into a another file name Post 302808325 by jclanc8 on Thursday 16th of May 2013 12:35:01 PM
Old 05-16-2013
This solution is great, but I think I might not have explained it correctly. i don't need the entire file name copied over, but just a portion. In my original example, there is a node in the file name that is a date, I just need the take that date and plug it into the new file name.

I will use part of your example, but modify it slightly.
Code:
ls sample*.*
sample.20100101.txt  sample1.20110101.txt 
sample10 20120101.txt  sample2.20130101.txt  

My output needs to be:
Code:
example.20100101.txt
example.20110101.txt
example.20120101.txt
example.20130101.txt

I am not sure how to get to/extract/cut out that date and how to put it in the new file name.

Thanks.

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-17-2013 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking a part from file name

hi i have a file with name "CT_Thread_Trace.384.20080728-121217.log" i need 384 , can any one help thanks Satya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from one file and putting in new file ??

Hello All, I have a file which contain data something like this: CELL 2 TEST AND DIAGNOSTIC UNIT 2 CELL 2, CDM 1 CBR 1 TRANSMIT PORT (TXPORT) 1 CELL 2, CDM 1 CBR 2 TRANSMIT PORT (TXPORT) 1 CELL 2, CDM 1 CBR 3 TRANSMIT PORT (TXPORT) 1 CELL 2, CDM 1 CBR 1 TRANSMIT PORT... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting from one file and putting into another file

Hi I have a file that is organized like this. Basically the name is indicated by >name, then on a newline there is a sequence of letters. The letters are ASKL however sometimes there are non ASKL's like U's, G's or O's. Basically what I want to do is cut out the UUUU and record them. So heres... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gisele_l
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ftp multiple files by taking the file name from a input file.

Hi, I'm working on a script which has to copy multiple files from one server to another server. The list of files that are to be copied is present in a file say input.txt. vi input.txt abc.c welcome.c new.c welcome1.c for ftp'ing a single file say 'new.c' the following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing a bin file by taking input from a properties file

I need to install a bin file in UNIX which requires user interaction for giving some information like user id , path, sid etc. All these information is stored in a properties file in the same location. So if i give ./file.bin -f propfile.properties will it install the file taking all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolmohere
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking word count from file and printing in file

hi, i am having a file which contains the below content, i need to take the word count of if and print the file name also inputfile.txt file_name1.txt,type_name1.txt file_name2.txt,type_name2.txt i would need the word count of the files like this if file_name*.txt then wc -l... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting file name inside file

I have a bunch of files with unique names. Inside each file are either 1 or more than 1 rows. I would like the name of the file to appear inside the file itself, once per row (except for the first row which is a header). For example: ls dog.1 cat.1 goat.1 tree.1 cat dog.1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking information from a postgres sql query and putting it into a shell script array

I have a postgres sql statement that is the following: select age from students; which gives me the entries: Age --- 10 15 13 12 9 14 10 which is about 7 rows of data. Now what I would like to do with this is use a shell script to create an array age. As a results... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSNY
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking nth column and putting its value in n+1 column using awk

Hello Members, Need your expert opinion how to tackle below. I have an input file that looks like below: USS|AWCC|AFGAW|93|70 USSAA|Roshan TDCA|AFGTD|93|72,79 ALB|Vodafone|ALBVF|355|69 ALGEE|Wataniya (Nedjma)|DZAWT|213|50,550 I like output file in below format: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern in a file taking input from another file

Hi, Below is my requirement File1: svasjsdhvassdvasdhhgvasddhvasdhasdjhvasdjsahvasdjvdasjdvvsadjhv vdjvsdjasvdasdjbasdjbasdjhasbdasjhdbjheasbdasjdsajhbjasbjasbhddjb svfsdhgvfdshgvfsdhfvsdadhfvsajhvasjdhvsajhdvsadjvhasjhdvjhsadjahs File2: sdh hgv I need a command such that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrandec85
8 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)