Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators I want to consult about 4th of Forum Rules Post 302807781 by joeyg on Wednesday 15th of May 2013 10:39:41 AM
Old 05-15-2013
That is permissible and desired - to answer and clarify.

We just do not want posts like:
"Any one have ideas?" - that merely move up to top of recent posts.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

suggested addition to forum rules

Possible new rule for the "forum rules" list: <UL> <LI>Include as many pertinent details as possible in your post. Useful information usually includes: Vendor and version of Unix you are using, hardware platform, kernel version (if applicable). For hardware related questions include model... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PxT
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

forum rules

i dont think this post is in the right section, but i couldnt really decide which one was appropriate, and this question seems simple enough, should normal users, ie non-moderators, tell other users if their post is in violation of the forum rules? like if a question is obviously a homework... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
17 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Forum rules

After reading the FAQ for the first time, I noticed Rule # 14 : :D:D:D Anyways, I hope to make more use of this forum in future, and also to help others. Regards Ook. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Librarian
0 Replies
DUP(2)							      BSD System Calls Manual							    DUP(2)

NAME
dup, dup2 -- duplicate an existing file descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int dup(int oldd); int dup2(int oldd, int newd); DESCRIPTION
Dup() duplicates an existing object descriptor and returns its value to the calling process (newd = dup(oldd)). The argument oldd is a small non-negative integer index in the per-process descriptor table. The value must be less than the size of the table, which is returned by getdtablesize(2). The new descriptor returned by the call is the lowest numbered descriptor currently not in use by the process. The object referenced by the descriptor does not distinguish between oldd and newd in any way. Thus if newd and oldd are duplicate refer- ences to an open file, read(2), write(2) and lseek(2) calls all move a single pointer into the file, and append mode, non-blocking I/O and asynchronous I/O options are shared between the references. If a separate pointer into the file is desired, a different object reference to the file must be obtained by issuing an additional open(2) call. The close-on-exec flag on the new file descriptor is unset. In dup2(), the value of the new descriptor newd is specified. If this descriptor is already in use, the descriptor is first deallocated as if a close(2) call had been done first. RETURN VALUES
The value -1 is returned if an error occurs in either call. The external variable errno indicates the cause of the error. ERRORS
Dup() and dup2() fail if: [EBADF] Oldd or newd is not a valid active descriptor [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. SEE ALSO
accept(2), open(2), close(2), fcntl(2), pipe(2), socket(2), socketpair(2), getdtablesize(2) STANDARDS
Dup() and dup2() are expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution