Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fork: Resource temporarily unavailable Post 302805365 by clx on Friday 10th of May 2013 03:27:37 AM
Old 05-10-2013
I tried ps -efL when you suggested previously. I believe, threads and process are different from each other?
I have seen huge count when did ps-efL. Most of them was having same PID (true by definition of threads) . I am confused whether the system process limit applies to threads also?

Yes, We have lots of java applications running on the systems. When we restarted those applications, the system gets stable for sometime (we get comparatively, less number of fork errors).

Does that mean those java applications are the culprit?

I had seen zombie/defunct processes, but didn't find much of them. They are not so many in count.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

sendto failing "resource temporarily unavailable"

Well, I am not even sure if its failing, cause at the other end I have a select call and it wakes up and reads the data I sent fine. Ok here is the issue, I have a UDP socket(non blocking) through which I push some data to another port. At the other end I have select loop, waiting for this data.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naanu
6 Replies

2. Solaris

fork: Resource temporarily unavailable - What can I check ?

Hi everybody, I have an Unix box running Solaris and every day for 1 hour or 2 the box is stuck and I can only get this error message when trying to type a command : bash-3.00$ vmstat 5 bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable How can I trace what's is going wrong with this box ?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork:resource unavailable

Hello. I have code which create processes with fork(). I set a limit for processes by typing ulimit -u 20. Then I run my code who should create 100 processes. Unfortunately, I have a mistake there and I forgot to quit all of my forked processes when fork gave me return value -1. So I am trapped in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Mmap with fork : Resource unavaialable temporarily

installed 64bit 16GB VM on 64bit ESX server. Written small C code to map the 2GB of memory by mmap after creating 3 child and map getting failed by throwing "resource unavailable temporarily" after mapping 1.6 GB of memory out of 2GB. But same 1.5Gb memory mapping works fine. I checked... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddharoodh
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resource temporarily unavailable Error In Socket

Hi, Now I am programming to communicate with some network printer through TCP Socket program.By sending command "\033E 1\r" to printer,causes, check the port for error normally. In my case i used following code bytesSent = send( sockfd, "\033E 1\r",sizeof("\033E 1\r"), 0); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavinsivakumar
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fork: Resource temporarily unavailable , server unexpectedly unavailable network connection

Solaris 10 Server refuse to connect :wall: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable , server unexpectedly unavailable network connection , refuse error, disconnect message, fatal error type2, (protocol error type2) Issue has been resolved after taken few steps :b: First of all need to check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taherahmed
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

I wrote a script that works most of the time but gave me fork: resource temporarily unavailable some of the time. I restarted my computer and now it runs fine but googling "fork: resource temporarily unavailable" and looking on the forums has not actually helped me figure out what exactly I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monstrousturtle
3 Replies

9. Programming

[ERROR:Resource temporarily unavailable!] Serial writing by termios library

Hello, I am using the termios library to write data that I get from a Bluetooth device to a modem via serial. The data arrive from the Bluetooth device correctly every 50ms and I have to bypass them on the serial ttyUSB3 where it is connected to a modem connected to a socket with static IP. The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork resource unavailable error, max # filehandles open?

I wrote a perl program that simultaneously reads in data from 691 tar.gz files using zcat. I can run one instance of the program without any issues and the memory and swap sizes are negligible. However, when I attempt to run more than 1 I start to get fork: resource unavailable messages. Are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquinom85
6 Replies
aio_proc_threads(5)						File Formats Manual					       aio_proc_threads(5)

NAME
aio_proc_threads - maximum number of process threads allowed in AIO pool VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The implementation of POSIX AIO on HP-UX uses kernel threads to perform I/Os to filesystems that do not directly support true asynchronous I/O. (This distinction is transparent to the user.) The kernel threads are organized into worker-thread pools (called AIO thread pools) created on a per-process basis. Since a thread pool mechanism for I/Os introduces a variety of trade-offs concerning utilization of CPU time vs. I/O resources, four dynamic tunables are available to customize the behavior of this thread pool: aio_proc_threads(5), aio_proc_thread_pct(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), and aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Please see individual manpages for details on each of these tunables. The tunable specifies, on a per-process basis, the maximum number of process threads that can be used by the POSIX AIO system as kernel threads for issuing I/Os. This tunable interacts with in the following way: the maximum number of threads used for AIO will be the smaller of the two values defined by the two tunables, i.e.: This allows the number of AIO threads to vary dynamically with but to always be bound by an absolute limit of Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications requiring heavy usage of POSIX AIO to filesystems. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is dynamic. Changes to to this tunable take effect immediately for new processes started after the change. They also impact existing processes, but the speed with which the changes propagate to running processes is determined by the tunable When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? should be raised for applications that do not use very many threads for their own work, but desire high performance from the POSIX AIO sub- system. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? Some applications that use POSIX AIO but also require a large number of threads may find that they are unable to create new threads. (This could happen if the POSIX AIO thread pool ends up using too many of a process' allowable threads.) In addition, using a larger number of kernel threads might lead to increased CPU utilization. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? should be lowered when POSIX AIO performance is acceptable but applications using POSIX AIO are seeing errors when trying to create new threads for other work. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? By ultimately reducing the number of threads available to handle POSIX AIO requests, overall I/O throughput of the POSIX AIO subsystem could be reduced. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? interacts with this tunable by setting a limit on the number of AIO threads based on a percentage of the maximum number of allowable process threads. This allows the AIO thread pools to respond dynamically to changes in defines the desired relationship between the number of POSIX AIO kernel threads and the number of I/Os to be serviced. defines how often (in seconds) the AIO thread mechanism will monitor itself for adherence to the constraints defined by the tunables above. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), aio_proc_thread_pct(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters aio_proc_threads(5)