Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Returning multiple values in Shell Post 302800189 by Priya Amaresh on Monday 29th of April 2013 07:11:36 AM
Old 04-29-2013
Returning multiple values in Shell

Hi

I have a code as the following
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
set -x
row()
{
a=$1
b=$2
c=$(($a + $b))
d=$(($a * $b))
echo $a $b
}
e=`row 2 3`
set $e
echo "The value of c is $c"
echo "The value of d is $d"

My requirement is I need to pass two arguments to a function and return two values calculated from that function..

When i tried to execute the same
i got the output as
Code:
# ./testg.sh
+ + row 2 3
e=2 3
+ set 2 3
+ echo The value of c is
The value of c is
+ echo The value of d is
The value of d is

Please help.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning Values (shell Script)

I have an application on Informix 4GL, and I am invoking the shell script from the program, but I need to know if the shell script work fine or not, in order to continue the process. I know that we can use $? to get the final status but this is on unix command. How can I return a value from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning values from child to parent shell

I need to send the status from child shell failure to parent shell. I would like to know how could we accomplish this. My parent.sh is as below: #!/bin/ksh set -x echo "I am in parent shell now..." child.sh ret_stat=$? echo "rest_stat=$ret_stat" echo "I am below parent shell end..." ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
4 Replies

3. Solaris

awk/nawk returning decimal values?

Hi Running a specific nawk statement over a 17m lines files returns the following: /bin/nawk: not enough args in ..... input record number 1,25955e+06, file test.1 source line number 1 I'd like to report the line number (in bold above) in decimal not floating so that i can spot it out. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moutaye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/nawk returning decimal values?

Hi Running a specific nawk statement over a 17m lines files returns the following: /bin/nawk: not enough args in ..... input record number 1,25955e+06, file test.1 source line number 1 I'd like to report the line number (in bold above) in decimal not floating so that i can spot it out. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moutaye
1 Replies

5. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop returning more values

Hi All, Thanks all of you for the help you provide to me. Well, I have one more problem, where I am trying to pull file system information in the loop and display the filesystem percentege. I am using following code to achive this, nut it's giving the weired output. My file system is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in shell script while returning values-- urgent issue plz help.

Hi, I have initailized a varaible EBID as typeset Long EBID=0 i am calculating value of EBID using certian formula as below: (( CURR_EBID= ($BANDINDEX << 27) | ($CURR_FREQ << 16) | ($CURR_CELLID << 4) | $CURR_SECTOR_VALUE )) return $CURR_EBID The output is as below: + (( CURR_EBID=... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasanur
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output breaking when returning multiple values

I've been trying to write a command-line function to grab a website's MX records and their ip addresses. The code below works with domains that only have one MX record: function kmx { mx=`host -t MX $1 | awk '{ print $7 }'`; ip=`host $mx | sed '/IPv6/d;/handled/d' | awk '{ print $4 }'`; ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference" i have used as #!/usr/bin/ksh calc() { total=$1+$2 echo "$total" diff=$2-$1 echo "$diff" } I have invoked this function as calc 5 8 Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. Programming

Perl subroutine returning different values in HPUX

HI , I am running a program on hpux in perl. I am encountering a strange issue where when i print a variable in the sub which is returning it , it prints a different value but when i call it and store value in a variable it gives a different o/p. the sub is sub CheckConfigFilePattern ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
4 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)