Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Solved] Previous Year Date
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Previous Year Date Post 302797339 by Don Cragun on Monday 22nd of April 2013 11:44:55 AM
Old 04-22-2013
Here is another way to do this just using Korn shell built-ins (and doing minimal error checking):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
if [ $# -ne 1 ] || [[ $1 != [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][01][0-9][0-3][0-9] ]]
then    printf "Usage: %s YYYYMMDD\n" "${0##*/}" >&2
        exit 1
fi
y="$((${1%????} - 1))"
md="${1#????}"
if [ "$md" = 0429 ]
then    md=0428
fi
echo $y$md

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specify a previous date as start date in shell script

Hi, I am trying to modify a script which accepts date in format dd/mm/yy. I am trying to modify the script so that it retrieves the date that was 15 days earlier from today as start date. Eg.if today is 05/09/2006, the script should retrieve 21/08/2006 as start date. Is there any script/code to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritzwan0
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get previous date from date command in ksh

I want to get previous date from date command. I am using ksh shell. Exmp: today is 2008.09.04 I want the result : 2008.09.03 Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Using date command, getting previous day

Legends, i need to get previous day using date command. Can you please help. sdosanjh:/home> date +%m%d%y 011514 i tried -d '-1 day' but it is not working (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find week of the year for given date using date command inside awk

Hi all, Need an urgent help on the below scenario. script: awk -F"," 'BEGIN { #some variable assignment} { #some calculation and put values in array} END { year=#getting it from array and assume this will be 2014 month=#getting it from array and this will be 05 date=#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaidhas
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to print previous year in UNIX

hi all, I use date +%Y which gives Current year. Requirement: I want previous year to be printed. Please help me. Note: I tried date +%d/%m/%Y -d "-1 years" which is not working. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasim999
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to fetch previous month first date and last date

I am not able to fetch first date and last date previous month date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d I need two format dd-mm-yyy previous month 01-03-2016 previous month 31-03-2016 and also only date 1 to 31 Aprriciate your replay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How bash treats literal date value and retrieve year, month and date?

Hi, I am trying to add few (say 3 days) to sysdate using - date -d '+ 3 days' +%y%m%d and it works as expected. But how to add few (say 3 days) to a literal date value and how bash treats a literal value as a date. Can we say just like in ORACLE TO_DATE that my given literal date value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers1234
2 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)