Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Unable to convert EBCDIC file to ASCII file Post 302796103 by RudiC on Friday 19th of April 2013 02:04:06 AM
Old 04-19-2013
When I read your thread title, the first thing jumping to my mind was dd. This failing, did you consider recode or iconv, both of which should be available on the linux platform?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert English text file to ASCII File?

file abc abc: English text I want to convert the above into file abc file: ascii text (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laknar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert file to ascii

I have a file in below format(ISO ) and to be convert to readable (.txt/Ascii) format .send me the commands/code please sample as follows 2043010101167157001190002010011120000000002144300000000000000000000 01022_ - %rE@ U...ug  47 56   d %rE@ 01022_ - $5 fy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nalakaatslt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file has EBCDIC or ascii characters

Hi, is there a way to check if the initial few characters are ebcdic or ascii in a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

6. Programming

Ebcdic to ascii

Hi, I want to convert ebcdic values to ascii values. Are there anyany specific c++ libraries with g++ compiler, which can do it ? gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-54) (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert EBCDIC(.DAT) FILE into ASCII FILE

Hi Team, I am having 100 EBCDIC files (i.e. DAT extension) and need to convert them into ASCII File by unix shell script. I tried with DD Command but its not providing output as expected. Sample Text: ------------------ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Expected Output:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSM
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if file is EBCDIC or ASCII format

So, i have this requirement where i need to check the file format, whether it's EBCDIC or ASCII, and based on format retrieve the information from that file: my file is: file1.txt-->this ebcdic file file2.txt-->ascii file i tried below code: file=file1.txt type="`file $file`" i get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
7 Replies
YAZ-ICONV(1)							     Commands							      YAZ-ICONV(1)

NAME
yaz-iconv - YAZ Character set conversion utility SYNOPSIS
yaz-iconv [-f from] [-t to] [-v] [file...] DESCRIPTION
yaz-iconv converts data in file in character set specified by from to output in character set as specified by to. This yaz-iconv utility similar to the iconv found on many POSIX systems (Glibc, Solaris, etc). If no file is specified, yaz-iconv reads from standard input. OPTIONS
-ffrom] Specify the character set from of the input file. Should be used in conjunction with option -t. -tto] Specify the character set of of the output. Should be used in conjunction with option -f. -v Print more information about the conversion process. ENCODINGS
The yaz-iconv command and the API as defined in yaz/yaz-iconv.h is a wrapper for the library system call iconv. But YAZ' iconv utility also implements conversions on its own. The table below lists characters sets (or encodings). that are supported by YAZ. Each character set is marked with either encode or decode. If an encoding is encode-enabled YAZ may convert to to the designated encoding. If an encoding is decode-enabled, YAZ may convert from the designated encoding. marc8 (encode, decode) The MARC8[1] encoding as defined by the Library of Congress. Most MARC21/USMARC records usees this encoding. marc8s (encode, decode) Like MARC8 but with conversion prefers non-combined characters in the Latin-1 plane over combined characters. marc8lossy (encode) Lossy encoding of MARC-8. marc8lossless (encode) Lossless encoding of MARC8. utf8 (encode, decode) The most commonly used UNICODE encoding on the Internet. iso8859-1 (encode, decode) ISO-8859-1, AKA Latin-1. iso5426 (decode) ISO 5426. Some MARC records (UNIMARC) uses this encoding. iso5428:1984 (encode, decode) ISO 5428:1984. advancegreek (encode, decode) An encoding for Greek used by some vendors (Advance). danmarc (decode) Danmarc (in danish)[2] is an encoding based on UNICODE which is used for DanMARC2 records. EXAMPLES
The following command converts from ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) to UTF-8. yaz-iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 -X <input.lst >output.lst FILES
prefix/bin/yaz-iconv prefix/include/yaz/yaz-iconv.h SEE ALSO
yaz(7) iconv(1) NOTES
1. MARC8 http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/speccharmarc8.html 2. Danmarc (in danish) http://www.kat-format.dk/danMARC2/Danmarc2.4.htm#felt+Indl.+4 YAZ 4.2.30 04/16/2012 YAZ-ICONV(1)