Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alias problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alias problem Post 302794867 by kshji on Wednesday 17th of April 2013 12:48:19 AM
Old 04-17-2013
Of course every script, also .profile can include function. But if you like function working like alias = global then you need to set ENV and make some file which have to read every time when you start sh process. Usually it has named .kshrc. In my solution I have only show that name can be any. "Standard" is to use .shrc or .kshrc. Bash use .bashrc.

If you like function is usable also in child process then add to the .profile:
Code:
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc
export ENV

And make file .kshrc which include ex. those function which you like to be global.

But if you like to put together this need with ksh and bash, then make $HOME/.bashrc
and set ENV=$HOME/.bashrc + export in the profile.
=> function and all other settings are global in the bash and ksh93.

FPATH and autoload is the other method to make function working also in child process. = Autoload function when shell is launched.

I have not seen any command to set function to be global. Compare export for the variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias problem

How can I get two commands in one alias? In my exaple it only display the current date. alias two='cal | date' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mattiax
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias problem

i'm trying to get the alias alias "sudo su"=`sh script.sh` whats wrong with this and how can i make an alias that has a space in it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with alias and invisible text

okay how do i make an alias that has a space in it? for most of my other ones i've simply done within my ~/.bash_profile alias `ls`='ls -laF' but with alias `sudo su`='sh hello.sh' I'm unable to make it work in addition i was wondering how i could allow the user to type in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Problem using a top command alias in my profile

Hi- I am newish to the mac osx unix interface. I want to set up top so that it always displays the username. I can use this command to do this: top -ocpu -P ' PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE USER' -p '$aaaa ^bbbbbbbbb $cccc $wwwwwww $ee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias defining problem in .cshrc file

Hi folks, I'm trying to define the following command as alias in .cshrc file: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -hs I defined it as the following: alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | awk "{print \\$9}" | xargs du -hs`' I've got the following error when I've run the alias:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

6. Linux

mail alias problem

Hi all, well i am configuring backuppc for awhile, anyway my current problem is, i set a smarthost, configured the mail to use our ISP smtp server, and its working successfully thanks to ALLAH, now i want to set an alias for mails( it was working when it was using the local smtp server), so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias problem with awk command

Hi to all, I'm facing some problems when adding an alias like: #alias list="ls -al | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3, $4, (($5/1048576))"\t", $6, $7, $8, $9 }'" and when I enter: #list I get: Syntax Error The source line is 1. The error context is { print >>> , <<< awk:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

alias ip problem,i canīt find out solution

hi, we have eth1; in the beginning it was proposed to create from eth1, eth1.2500 and eth1.240. It did not worked cause vlan 1.2500 was not tagged in the switch. so they decided to leave eth1 like a physical interface with eth1.2500 config (removel vlan tag) and create eth1.240 but it did... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem with Alias created through script.

Hi Guru's, I am creating alias for db instance running on a server through script, am able to create them based on /etc/oratab entries and can use successfully with the below script. #!/bin/bash SCRIPT_PATH=${HOME}/scripts/db/script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky.b5
3 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)