Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Wannabe nix guru starting a new os Post 302792393 by love_debian on Wednesday 10th of April 2013 10:25:59 AM
Old 04-10-2013
Like peoples, who think high ! (i really mean it - no joke - no offense )
There is nothing wrong with that but you should really know what you are doing.
Take a look at beginner mistakes in OSDEV . ( no offense - maybe you're pro. )
Code:
http://wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes

and maybe a look over here :
Code:
http://wiki.osdev.org/Books

you should be fimiliar with most of books or subjects mentioned in that site.

osdev's forum is also a good place to ask questions, but be sure that you've read at least
the beginner section in the osdevwiki, so people don't ignore you in forum while asking questions.

and wish you a good luck Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to love_debian For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what do most Unix guru's use ? :D

I wanted to know what email app most Sun solaris / unix gurus use ? I have become quite NON microsoft in the last few months in my studying solaris.. thanks simon2000 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Wannabe

Heya folks, I have a computer that is dying to have UNIX installed. However due to the fact that I can pinch a penny until it screams for mercy, I would like to install a FREE version if UNIX. I have a version of Red Hat Linux, but I am afraid that is not enough like Unix to really get a good... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechKnow
5 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
25 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To all the Java guru...

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this post. I didn't see a good place to post this topic in. :D I would like to know what's the most popular and reliable Java IDE out there nowadays? A FREE one would be awesome! :D Thanks for your suggestion! Cheers! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for something like Citrix for *nix

Hi, I don't mean the client.... I mean the server - I have the client to connect to a windows citrix server already. The next best thing I can use at present is VNC (I only want remote desktop, not application sharing specifically). The thing with VNC is that when you go on you are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Noob and Guru

A long time ago, my computer crashed, at that time, I was using Windows98, but because I was a noob at computers, my friend recommended me apro to fix it for me.   He came, saw the computer, and asked if I had a backup/installation disk for Windows 98. I said no.   He thought about it for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help from a C++ makefile guru

hello, i'm recompiling some c++ code for OSX and there are some bugs as the configure is not picking up some libs like atlas, pastix, etc, it should be finding either in standard path or with pkgconfig but it's not so i'm rewriting the Makefile. C++ territory is a bit of a stretch with all of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
7(16 December 2012)													       7(16 December 2012)

NAME
dsp - Open Sound System audio devices DESCRIPTION
/dev/dsp is the default audio device in the system. It's connected to the main speakers and the primary recording source (such as micro- phone). The system administrator can set /dev/dsp to be a symbolic link to the desired default device. The ossinfo utility can be used to list the available audio devices in the system. /dev/dsp_mmap, /dev/dsp_ac3, /dev/dsp_multich and /dev/dsp_spdifout are default audio devices for specific applications such as games or media (DVD) players. DIRECT ACCESS AUDIO DEVICE FILES
OSS 4.0 (and later) will create audio devices under /dev/oss/<device> directory. For example /dev/oss/sblive0/pcm0 is the first audio device that belongs to the first Sound Blaster Live! or Audigy card in the system. These direct devices are used when an application needs to access specific audio device (instead of the default one). You can use the ossinfo(1) utility with the -a option to get a list of the available audio devices in the system. LEGACY AUDIO DEVICE FILES
Traditionally OSS has created device files like /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN for each audio device in the system. OSS 4.0 still supports this legacy naming. These files are symbolic links to the actual device files located under /dev/oss. The ossdevlinks(8) utility is used to manage these links and it will be automatically invoked when OSS is started. COMPATIBILITY
o The /dev/dsp (default() audio device file will be supported by all OSS implementations and versions. o The special purpose audio default devices (such as /dev/dsp_mmap) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. o The legacy audio device files (such as /dev/dsp1) are supported by all OSS versions and implementations. o New style audio device files (under /dev/oss) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. However some independent OSS implementations may only support the legacy naming even they are otherwise OSS 4.0 compatible. o /dev/dsp0 doesn't exist in all Linux systems which use /dev/dsp for the same purpose. In such systems /dev/dsp points to the first audio device and /dev/dsp1 to the second. PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
See the Audio Programming section of the OSS Programmer's Guide (DSP(2)) for more info. OPTIONS
None FILES
o /dev/dsp Default audio device o /dev/dsp_mmap Default audio device for applications using mmap(2) o /dev/dsp_ac3 Default audio device for applications sending Dolby Digital (AC3) audio to an external receiver. o /dev/dsp_multich Default multichannel (4.0-7.1) audio output device o /dev/dsp_spdifout Default digital audio (S/PDIF) output device o /dev/oss/<driver>/pcmN Direct access device files for individual audio devices. o /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN Legacy style direct access audio device files. AUTHOR
4Front Technologies OSS Devices 7(16 December 2012)