Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Want to change common line from multiple files Post 302791989 by kaleem.adil on Tuesday 9th of April 2013 01:56:12 PM
Old 04-09-2013
IBM I forgot to mention it's a SunOS m/c

Thanks Corona for the prompt reply, appreciate it.
I forgot to mention the details of my OS which is SunOS. So I think the sed options might differ.
For this one "-i" is not recognized as a legal option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename multiple files with a common suffix

Hi, There are multiple files like file1_11 file2_11 file3_11.....and so on. How to rename them such tht the suffix _11 is removed and they become file1, file2, file3. Any help is appreciated. Regards er_ashu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get common lines from multiple files

FileA chr1 31237964 NP_001018494.1 PUM1 M340L chr1 31237964 NP_055491.1 PUM1 M340L chr1 33251518 NP_037543.1 AK2 H191D chr1 33251518 NP_001616.1 AK2 H191D chr1 57027345 NP_001004303.2 C1orf168 P270S FileB chr1 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing common values across multiple files

Hi All, I have multiple (5+) text files with single columns and I would like to grep the common values across all the text files and parse it to a new file. All the values are numerical. Please let me know how to do it using awk. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract common data out of multiple files

I am trying to extract common list of Organisms from different files For example I took 3 files and showed expected result. In real I have more than 1000 files. I am aware about the useful use of awk and grep but unaware in depth so need guidance regarding it. I want to use awk/ grep/ cut/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: macmath
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common lines between multiple files

Hello everyone A few years Ago the user radoulov posted a fancy solution for a problem, which was about finding common lines (gene variation names) between multiple samples (files). The code was: awk 'END { for (R in rec) { n = split(rec, t, "/") if (n > 1) dup = dup ?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibb
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, and extract items that are common to ALL files only

I have this code awk 'NR==FNR{a=$1;next} a' file1 file2 which does what I need it to do, but for only two files. I want to make it so that I can have multiple files (for example 30) and the code will return only the items that are in every single one of those files and ignore the ones... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join common patterns in multiple lines into one line

Hi I have a file like 1 2 1 2 3 1 5 6 11 12 10 2 7 5 17 12 I would like to have an output as 1 2 3 5 6 10 7 11 12 17 any help would be highly appreciated Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harrisham
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get both common and missing values from multiple files

Hi, I have 5 files with two columns. I need to merge all the 5 files based on column 1. If any of them are missing then corresponding 2nd column should be substituted by missing value. I know hoe to do this for 2 files. but how can I implement for 5 files. I tried this based on 5 files but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple files with common header

Hi all, Say i have multiple files x1 x2 x3 x4, all with common header (date, time, year, age),, How can I merge them to one singe file "X" in shell scripting Thanks for your suggestions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarguru
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and list the difference with common first line content of both files

I have two file as given below which shows the ACL permissions of each file. I need to compare the source file with target file and list down the difference as specified below in required output. Can someone help me on this ? Source File ************* # file: /local/test_1 # owner: own #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
4 Replies
Term::UI(3perl) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Term::UI(3perl)

NAME
Term::UI - Term::ReadLine UI made easy SYNOPSIS
use Term::UI; use Term::ReadLine; my $term = Term::ReadLine->new('brand'); my $reply = $term->get_reply( prompt => 'What is your favourite colour?', choices => [qw|blue red green|], default => blue, ); my $bool = $term->ask_yn( prompt => 'Do you like cookies?', default => 'y', ); my $string = q[some_command -option --no-foo --quux='this thing']; my ($options,$munged_input) = $term->parse_options($string); ### don't have Term::UI issue warnings -- default is '1' $Term::UI::VERBOSE = 0; ### always pick the default (good for non-interactive terms) ### -- default is '0' $Term::UI::AUTOREPLY = 1; ### Retrieve the entire session as a printable string: $hist = Term::UI::History->history_as_string; $hist = $term->history_as_string; DESCRIPTION
"Term::UI" is a transparent way of eliminating the overhead of having to format a question and then validate the reply, informing the user if the answer was not proper and re-issuing the question. Simply give it the question you want to ask, optionally with choices the user can pick from and a default and "Term::UI" will DWYM. For asking a yes or no question, there's even a shortcut. HOW IT WORKS
"Term::UI" places itself at the back of the "Term::ReadLine" @ISA array, so you can call its functions through your term object. "Term::UI" uses "Term::UI::History" to record all interactions with the commandline. You can retrieve this history, or alter the filehandle the interaction is printed to. See the "Term::UI::History" manpage or the "SYNOPSIS" for details. METHODS
$reply = $term->get_reply( prompt => 'question?', [choices => @list, default => $list[0], multi => BOOL, print_me => "extra text to print & record", allow => $ref] ); "get_reply" asks a user a question, and then returns the reply to the caller. If the answer is invalid (more on that below), the question will be reposed, until a satisfactory answer has been entered. You have the option of providing a list of choices the user can pick from using the "choices" argument. If the answer is not in the list of choices presented, the question will be reposed. If you provide a "default" answer, this will be returned when either $AUTOREPLY is set to true, (see the "GLOBAL VARIABLES" section further below), or when the user just hits "enter". You can indicate that the user is allowed to enter multiple answers by toggling the "multi" flag. Note that a list of answers will then be returned to you, rather than a simple string. By specifying an "allow" hander, you can yourself validate the answer a user gives. This can be any of the types that the Params::Check "allow" function allows, so please refer to that manpage for details. Finally, you have the option of adding a "print_me" argument, which is simply printed before the prompt. It's printed to the same file handle as the rest of the questions, so you can use this to keep track of a full session of Q&A with the user, and retrieve it later using the "Term::UI->history_as_string" function. See the "EXAMPLES" section for samples of how to use this function. $bool = $term->ask_yn( prompt => "your question", [default => (y|1,n|0), print_me => "extra text to print & record"] ) Asks a simple "yes" or "no" question to the user, returning a boolean indicating "true" or "false" to the caller. The "default" answer will automatically returned, if the user hits "enter" or if $AUTOREPLY is set to true. See the "GLOBAL VARIABLES" section further below. Also, you have the option of adding a "print_me" argument, which is simply printed before the prompt. It's printed to the same file handle as the rest of the questions, so you can use this to keep track of a full session of Q&A with the user, and retrieve it later using the "Term::UI->history_as_string" function. See the "EXAMPLES" section for samples of how to use this function. ($opts, $munged) = $term->parse_options( STRING ); "parse_options" will convert all options given from an input string to a hash reference. If called in list context it will also return the part of the input string that it found no options in. Consider this example: my $str = q[command --no-foo --baz --bar=0 --quux=bleh ] . q[--option="some'thing" -one-dash -single=blah' arg]; my ($options,$munged) = $term->parse_options($str); ### $options would contain: ### $options = { 'foo' => 0, 'bar' => 0, 'one-dash' => 1, 'baz' => 1, 'quux' => 'bleh', 'single' => 'blah'', 'option' => 'some'thing' }; ### and this is the munged version of the input string, ### ie what's left of the input minus the options $munged = 'command arg'; As you can see, you can either use a single or a double "-" to indicate an option. If you prefix an option with "no-" and do not give it a value, it will be set to 0. If it has no prefix and no value, it will be set to 1. Otherwise, it will be set to its value. Note also that it can deal fine with single/double quoting issues. $str = $term->history_as_string Convenience wrapper around "Term::UI::History->history_as_string". Consult the "Term::UI::History" man page for details. GLOBAL VARIABLES
The behaviour of Term::UI can be altered by changing the following global variables: $Term::UI::VERBOSE This controls whether Term::UI will issue warnings and explanations as to why certain things may have failed. If you set it to 0, Term::UI will not output any warnings. The default is 1; $Term::UI::AUTOREPLY This will make every question be answered by the default, and warn if there was no default provided. This is particularly useful if your program is run in non-interactive mode. The default is 0; $Term::UI::INVALID This holds the string that will be printed when the user makes an invalid choice. You can override this string from your program if you, for example, wish to do localization. The default is "Invalid selection, please try again: " $Term::UI::History::HISTORY_FH This is the filehandle all the print statements from this module are being sent to. Please consult the "Term::UI::History" manpage for details. This defaults to *STDOUT. EXAMPLES
Basic get_reply sample ### ask a user (with an open question) for their favourite colour $reply = $term->get_reply( prompt => 'Your favourite colour? ); which would look like: Your favourite colour? and $reply would hold the text the user typed. get_reply with choices ### now provide a list of choices, so the user has to pick one $reply = $term->get_reply( prompt => 'Your favourite colour?', choices => [qw|red green blue|] ); which would look like: 1> red 2> green 3> blue Your favourite colour? $reply will hold one of the choices presented. "Term::UI" will repose the question if the user attempts to enter an answer that's not in the list of choices. The string presented is held in the $Term::UI::INVALID variable (see the "GLOBAL VARIABLES" section for details. get_reply with choices and default ### provide a sensible default option -- everyone loves blue! $reply = $term->get_reply( prompt => 'Your favourite colour?', choices => [qw|red green blue|], default => 'blue' ); which would look like: 1> red 2> green 3> blue Your favourite colour? [3]: Note the default answer after the prompt. A user can now just hit "enter" (or set $Term::UI::AUTOREPLY -- see the "GLOBAL VARIABLES" section) and the sensible answer 'blue' will be returned. get_reply using print_me & multi ### allow the user to pick more than one colour and add an ### introduction text @reply = $term->get_reply( print_me => 'Tell us what colours you like', prompt => 'Your favourite colours?', choices => [qw|red green blue|], multi => 1 ); which would look like: Tell us what colours you like 1> red 2> green 3> blue Your favourite colours? An answer of "3 2 1" would fill @reply with "blue green red" get_reply & allow ### pose an open question, but do a custom verification on ### the answer, which will only exit the question loop, if ### the answer matches the allow handler. $reply = $term->get_reply( prompt => "What is the magic number?", allow => 42 ); Unless the user now enters 42, the question will be reposed over and over again. You can use more sophisticated "allow" handlers (even subroutines can be used). The "allow" handler is implemented using "Params::Check"'s "allow" function. Check its manpage for details. an elaborate ask_yn sample ### ask a user if he likes cookies. Default to a sensible 'yes' ### and inform him first what cookies are. $bool = $term->ask_yn( prompt => 'Do you like cookies?', default => 'y', print_me => 'Cookies are LOVELY!!!' ); would print: Cookies are LOVELY!!! Do you like cookies? [Y/n]: If a user then simply hits "enter", agreeing with the default, $bool would be set to "true". (Simply hitting 'y' would also return "true". Hitting 'n' would return "false") We could later retrieve this interaction by printing out the Q&A history as follows: print $term->history_as_string; which would then print: Cookies are LOVELY!!! Do you like cookies? [Y/n]: y There's a chance we're doing this non-interactively, because a console is missing, the user indicated he just wanted the defaults, etc. In this case, simply setting $Term::UI::AUTOREPLY to true, will return from every question with the default answer set for the question. Do note that if "AUTOREPLY" is true, and no default is set, "Term::UI" will warn about this and return "undef". See Also "Params::Check", "Term::ReadLine", "Term::UI::History" BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-term-ui@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-19 Term::UI(3perl)