Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hidden strcmp in glibc
Top Forums Programming Hidden strcmp in glibc Post 302779427 by DGPickett on Tuesday 12th of March 2013 03:58:14 PM
Old 03-12-2013
Some CPUs come pretty close to providing libc funtions, so a call and stack pushes are an undesirable overhead, while others need considerable code to do it, which can be had as a call, or optionally as an inlined function, depending on the compiler directives and options. If you strcmp once a day, why not do the call? If it is in an inner loop, inlining opens it up to scheduling compilers that rearrange the pieces for optimal CPU internal exploitation, like for CPUs with multiple parallel integer units calculating addresses and data.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

glibc 2.2.2

After installing glibc 2.2.2 on my redhat 6.1 (with all necessary updates). I try to restart but my compter say i do not existst like you deleted root account and you are root. (i have seen people doing that ;-P ). I run configure with these command --bindir=/bin --sbindir=/sbin --libdir=/lib... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jurrien
1 Replies

2. Programming

strcmp core dumps

hi everyone, Right now when I do: strcmp(s1, s2); i get a core dump because at times s1 or s2 can be nothing so that makes strcmp() core dump. What is the solution, if at times I expect one of them (or both) to be NULL? I want to be able to compare that s1 is NULL and s2 is "blah" or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annie
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

install glibc-2.6.1

Hi, I have downloaded glibc-2.6.1.tar.tar. But I do not know how to install it on Xubuntu. Do you know ? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

5. Programming

glibc error

Hi All, This is my first time posting on this forum. I'd like to participate actively on this list. Here we go! I'm making a little application and I'm using ncurses. After a while using it, I receive the following error and the stack trace is shown: ***glibc detected*** malloc() :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
6 Replies

6. Ubuntu

glibc version

I need glibc version 2.2 - 2.11 for a installation. but i got glibc 2.0-2.1 from software centre... what to do? can u help? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Install glibc-debug for glibc-2.11.3-17.31.1 on SLES 11

I have to debug a function getopt_long in glibc-2.11.3-17.31.1. For that how can I download and install its corresponding glibc-debug on SLES 11? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
CHCPU(8)						       System Administration							  CHCPU(8)

NAME
chcpu - configure CPUs SYNOPSIS
chcpu -c|-d|-e|-g cpu-list chcpu -p mode chcpu -r|-h|-V DESCRIPTION
chcpu can modify the state of CPUs. It can enable or disable CPUs, scan for new CPUs, change the CPU dispatching mode of the underlying hypervisor, and request CPUs from the hypervisor (configure) or return CPUs to the hypervisor (deconfigure). Some options have a cpu-list argument. Use this argument to specify a comma-separated list of CPUs. The list can contain individual CPU addresses or ranges of addresses. For example, 0,5,7,9-11 makes the command applicable to the CPUs with the addresses 0, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11. OPTIONS
-c, --configure cpu-list Configure the specified CPUs. Configuring a CPU means that the hypervisor takes a CPU from the CPU pool and assigns it to the vir- tual hardware on which your kernel runs. -d, --disable cpu-list Disable the specified CPUs. Disabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it offline. -e, --enable cpu-list Enable the specified CPUs. Enabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it online. A CPU must be configured, see -c, before it can be enabled. -g, --deconfigure cpu-list Deconfigure the specified CPUs. Deconfiguring a CPU means that the hypervisor removes the CPU from the virtual hardware on which the Linux instance runs and returns it to the CPU pool. A CPU must be offline, see -d, before it can be deconfigured. -p, --dispatch mode Set the CPU dispatching mode (polarization). This option has an effect only if your hardware architecture and hypervisor support CPU polarization. Available modes are: horizontal The workload is spread across all available CPUs. vertical The workload is concentrated on few CPUs. -r, --rescan Trigger a rescan of CPUs. After a rescan, the Linux kernel recognizes the new CPUs. Use this option on systems that do not auto- matically detect newly attached CPUs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. RETURN CODES
chcpu has the following return codes: 0 success 1 failure 64 partial success AUTHOR
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright IBM Corp. 2011 SEE ALSO
lscpu(1) AVAILABILITY
The chcpu command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 CHCPU(8)