Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need to understand the overloaded assignment operator behavior Post 302777795 by Corona688 on Friday 8th of March 2013 11:40:20 AM
Old 03-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalibrahim
@Corona688, thank you for the reply. But even in the case when class B is not derived/inherited from A, and having the custom assignment operator implemented (like in the below code), then the B's overloaded assignment (only) is called.
All your operator= does is this:

Code:
cout << "B's" << endl;

No more, no less.

Overloading the default, means the default isn't called.

Quote:
my understanding was the user implemented overloaded assignment operator function will be invoked at the time when that class's object is assigned.
operator= is the thing which actually does assignment. Imagine the default as something like this:

Code:
void operator=(const B &rhs)
{
        a=rhs.a;
}

When you overloaded it, you told it to do this instead:

Code:
cout << "B's" << endl;

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

what is diff b/w copy constructor and overloaded assignment operator

Helo i m new in c++. i m confuse about what is exact difference b/w copy constructor and overloaded assignment operator. Regards, Amit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scalar variable assignment in perl + { operator

When reading over some perl code in a software document, I came across an assignment statement like this $PATH = ${PROJECT}/......./.... In this particular form of scalar variable assignment, what does the curly braces operators do ? Also, what is the benefit in doing scalar assignment this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

ERROR: more than one instance of overloaded function "vprintf" has "C" linkage

Hi people! I've got this own library: -------------------------------------------- Personal.h -------------------------------------------- #ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" { #endif #include <stdio.h> #include <stdarg.h> #include <string.h> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: donatoll
0 Replies

4. Programming

c++ assignment operator overloading

Hello everyone! Suppose that I have something like this A a; a.mem=new int; A b = a; where class A { public: int * mem; A() : mem(NULL) { } ~A() { if (mem!=NULL) delete mem; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Assignment Help

1. List commands to create the directory hierarchy $HOME/a/b/c in vi to replace all occurences of TMP with tmp in lines 1 through 10 in vi to replace first occurence of CPU_file with DISK_file at line 15 2. Explain with a very simple example, usage of "ls -a" 3. What do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessesaini
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Looking to understand what this command $$ does in variable assignment?

Hi Folks, I'm looking to figure something out in an existing script I'm trying to understand. the command in question(on a Solaris Box using KSH) is: WORKDIR=/tmp/namereplaced.exec.$$.$RANDOM Now, I know it's setting the $workdir environmental variable... And I understand most of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a little help with assignment

Hello all im currently working on this assignment and a little stump on how to check for an argument heres the instructions: Step 4: Modify your script so that if there is an argument called TestError you display the following error message with your usage statement. TestError found Example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsn3971
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment operator without operand

Does anyone know how this line in bash works? local gotbase= force= nicelevel corelimit local pid base= user= nice= bg= pid_file= local cgroup= These lines are part of the daemon function inside the "functions" file at /etc/init.d in RH. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment failure/unary operator expected

I have a little code block (executing on AIX 7.1) that I cannot understand why the NOTFREE=0 does not appear to be assigned even though it goes through that block. This causes a unary operator issue. #!/bin/bash PLATFORM="AIX" NEEDSPC=3000 set -x if ; then lsvg | grep -v rootvg | while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
6 Replies
QBitVal(3qt)															      QBitVal(3qt)

NAME
QBitVal - Internal class, used with QBitArray SYNOPSIS
All the functions in this class are reentrant when Qt is built with thread support.</p> #include <qbitarray.h> Public Members QBitVal ( QBitArray * a, uint i ) operator int () QBitVal & operator= ( const QBitVal & v ) QBitVal & operator= ( bool v ) DESCRIPTION
The QBitVal class is an internal class, used with QBitArray. The QBitVal is required by the indexing [] operator on bit arrays. It is not for use in any other context. See also Collection Classes. MEMBER FUNCTION DOCUMENTATION
QBitVal::QBitVal ( QBitArray * a, uint i ) Constructs a reference to element i in the QBitArray a. This is what QBitArray::operator[] constructs its return value with. QBitVal::operator int () Returns the value referenced by the QBitVal. QBitVal &; QBitVal::operator= ( const QBitVal & v ) Sets the value referenced by the QBitVal to that referenced by QBitVal v. QBitVal &; QBitVal::operator= ( bool v ) This is an overloaded member function, provided for convenience. It behaves essentially like the above function. Sets the value referenced by the QBitVal to v. SEE ALSO
http://doc.trolltech.com/qbitval.html http://www.trolltech.com/faq/tech.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1992-2007 Trolltech ASA, http://www.trolltech.com. See the license file included in the distribution for a complete license statement. AUTHOR
Generated automatically from the source code. BUGS
If you find a bug in Qt, please report it as described in http://doc.trolltech.com/bughowto.html. Good bug reports help us to help you. Thank you. The definitive Qt documentation is provided in HTML format; it is located at $QTDIR/doc/html and can be read using Qt Assistant or with a web browser. This man page is provided as a convenience for those users who prefer man pages, although this format is not officially supported by Trolltech. If you find errors in this manual page, please report them to qt-bugs@trolltech.com. Please include the name of the manual page (qbitval.3qt) and the Qt version (3.3.8). Trolltech AS 2 February 2007 QBitVal(3qt)