Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID5 + STRIPED LUNs
Special Forums Hardware RAID5 + STRIPED LUNs Post 302773013 by sybadm on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 07:03:07 AM
Old 02-27-2013
RAID5 + STRIPED LUNs

Hello Experts,

I have few doubts on RAID 5 with LUNs carved as STRIPE and CONCAT

RAID 5 = STRIPE + Parity mirroring

I would like to know if the LUNs carved are CONCATE from RAID 5 disk array. Are the I/Os are spread accross the disks within the RAID 5 Array? And if I do carve STRIPED LUNs on RAID 5 array will it be double striping and will result in serial I/O over the Array?

Thanks,
Syb

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Finding out if a file has been striped or not

Is there a way in c to find out if a binary program contains debug information? I have tried to compare the striped and unstriped versions of two programs, but i have had a hard time understand them. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shienarier
2 Replies

2. SCO

Raid5 Failure

Forgive me, I do not know much about RAID so I'm going to be as detailed as possible. This morning, our server's alarm was going. I found that one of our drives have failed. (we have 3) It is an Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A controller I'm purchasing a new SCSI drive today. My questions: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

3. Solaris

RAID5 problems on solaris

I have one volume raid5 with 3 slice one of them is maintenance state. I replace this slice and resync the volume. when I try to mount the file system another slice goes to last erred. Again resync and the state goes to OK but the slice in mantenance persist. I try to enabled this but persist in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usdsia
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to add disk into Striped Volume VxVM

VxVM: How to add one more disk into v08 the stripe should change from 7/128 to 8/128 v v08 - ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292224 SELECT v08-01 fsgen pl v08-01 v08 ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292480 STRIPE 7/128 RW sd bkpdg35-01 v08-01 bkpdg35 17216 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
0 Replies

5. AIX

how to mirror raid5

Hi, I have an ssa filesystem to move to san. We don't want any downtime. I heard that you can do a mirroring of existing file system on the san. The file system is a type of either raid 0, raid 1, or raid 5. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

6. AIX

AIX striped LV - lslv stripe width has wrong value

Hello all. I have a volume group with 8 PV's, and a logical volume striped across these 8 volumes. However, an lslv is showing: STRIPE WIDTH: 9 STRIPE SIZE: 64k There's really only eight disks, so how can the stripe width be 9? ODM also showed this: # odmget CuAt |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
4 Replies

7. AIX

Striped FS , need to add new disks

Hi, I have a filesystem that is created on a VG with 12 disks. The FS is striped on these disks. Now I have to add 10 more disks to this volume group to help increase the space of the same FS that is striped. How should I add these disks to the Vg and i need these disks to be added such the FS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RAID5 multi disk failure

Hi there, Don't know if my title is relevant but I'm dealing with dangerous materials that I don't really know and I'm very afraid to mess anything up. I have a Debian 5.0.4 server with 4 x 1TB hard drives. I have the following mdstat Personalities : md1 : active raid1 sda1 sdd1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

9. SuSE

Raid5

Hi all, I am currently using opensuse 12.1, We have Raid 5 array of 8 disks. A friend of mine accidently removed a drive & place it back and also added a new disk to it(making it 9 disks). now the output of mdadm --detail is as shown below si64:/dev # mdadm --detail /dev/md3 /dev/md3:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilrajashekar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Install RHEL6 on x3650M4 with RAID5

Hi All, I have a new x3650 M4 server with hardware RAID 5 configured 4 x 300 GB (HDD). The Raid controller is ServeRAID M5110e. Im getting "device not found" error during hardisk detection of RHEL6 install using DVD. Some pages over the net pointed to using ServerGuide media for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solaris_Begin
1 Replies
metaparam(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     metaparam(1M)

NAME
metaparam - modify parameters of metadevices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metaparam -h /usr/sbin/metaparam [-s setname] [concat/stripe or RAID5 options] concat/stripe RAID /usr/sbin/metaparam [-s setname] [mirror options] mirror DESCRIPTION
The metaparam command is used to display or modify current parameters of metadevices. If just the metadevice is specified as an argument to the metaparam command, the current settings are displayed. The metaparam command enables most metadevice (volume) parameters to be changed. Only the interlace value cannot be changed by metaparam, because it is established when the metadevice is created and cannot be changed thereafter. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the options. The following options are supported: -h Displays usage message. -s setname Specify the name of the diskset on which metaparam works. Using the -s option causes the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command performs its function on local metadevices. CONCAT
/STRIPE OR RAID5 OPTIONS -hhot_spare_pool | none Specifies the hot spare pool to be used by a metadevice. If none is specified, the metadevice is disassociated with the hot spare pool assigned to it. If the metadevice is currently using a hot spare, then metaparam cannot replace the hot spare pool. concat/stripe |RAID Specifies the metadevice name of the concatenation, stripe, or concatenation of stripes, or of the RAID5 metadevice. MIRROR OPTIONS
-r roundrobin | geometric | first Modifies the read option for a mirror. The -r option must be followed by either roundrobin, geometric, or first. roundrobin, which is the default action under the metainit command, specifies reading the disks in a round-robin (load balancing) method. geometric allows for faster performance on sequential reads. first specifies reading only from the first submirror. -w parallel | serial Modifies the write option for a mirror. The -w option must be followed by either parallel or serial. parallel, the default action under the metainit command, specifies that all writes are parallel. serial specifies that all writes are serial. -p pass_number A number from 0-to-9 that specifies the order in which a mirror is resynced during reboot. The default is 1. Smaller pass numbers are resynced first. Equal pass numbers are run concurrently. If 0 is used, the mirror resync is skipped. 0 should only be used for mirrors mounted as read-only, or as swap. mirror Specifies the metadevice name of the mirror. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Associating Hot Spare Pool with RAID5 Metadevice This example associates a hot spare pool, user_pool, with a RAID5 metadevice, user_raid. # metaparam -h user_pool user_raid Example 2 Changing Read Option to Geometric This example changes the read option on a mirror d50 from the default of roundrobin to geometric. # metaparam -r geometric d50 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) SunOS 5.11 26 Mar 2006 metaparam(1M)