Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar command to compare
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tar command to compare Post 302772917 by hiddenshadow on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 04:27:39 AM
Old 02-27-2013
Tar command to compare

Hi,

I need to compare two directories and I'm using the command tar -dvf directory.tar in the directory on other machine.

I saw in the result, message like Uid, Gid, Mod time differs, etc... and it is understandable
Code:
etc/group: Uid differs
etc/group: Gid differs
etc/rc2.d/K01nrpe: Mod time differs
etc/svc/volatile/system-hotplug\:default.log: Contents differ
[...]

BUT what's means when nothing message appear? I means when only file appears whitout message? here are an example :
Code:
/etc/sysdef
/etc/rc3
/etc/swap
/etc/inittab
etc/inittab: Uid differs
etc/inittab: Gid differs
etc/inittab: Mod time differs
etc/inittab: Size differs
[...]
/etc/fs/
/etc/fs/nfs/
[...]
/etc/umountall
/etc/minor_perm

What means this? Files are OK on both side? or these files are not present on one side?

Thanks for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command

I'm new to Unix, :confused: What is a TAR Command? What does it do? I need simple explanation. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: technie07
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two tar.bz2

Hello, I am using a bash script to archive directories of text files located in ${root}: tar cf ${root}.tar ${root}* bzip2 ${root}.tar I'd like to compare the newly produced archive two.tar.bz2 with the second latest one.tar.bz2. cmp one.tar.bz2 two.tar.bz2 returns one.tar.bz2 two.tar.bz2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command.

I have a big file, I would like to use command tar Can I compress it 2 files with command tar ? I have data : file1.Z my target : archive files, file1.tar and file2.tar many thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: photo
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files tar.lzo with/without extracting

Hi Guys, I have 2 compressed files tar.lzo and having many subdirectories inside it. I would like to know which files having the difference in terms of size/content. I am using bash shell and unix server example:- file1 :- abc.tar.lzo file2 :- xyz.tar.lzo Result:- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshupant
4 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard file descriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unprivileged # process can increase its soft limit up to the hard limit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" NOTES
This script is not meant as startup script for daemons or somesuch. It has nothing to do with a rc.local style script. It's just a handler for things executed from /etc/inittab. Experimenting with this can make your system un(re)bootable. FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). July 10, 2003 INITSCRIPT(5)