Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with special characters.... Post 302772313 by RudiC on Monday 25th of February 2013 04:42:58 AM
Old 02-25-2013
Et voila - there you are:
Quote:
Code:
grep -i 'AADESH,id2_1_*,AELA' COMBO_JUNK

It is looking for strings with 0 to n occurrences of _, not \*, which was what you intended. So - it's not an escape too many, but one too few.

btw - when mentioning "meaningful lines" I was talking of those around the occurrence of the problem.
btw2 - indenting and pretty printing like you do in your awk program usually is good practice, but in this simple case a one liner might be easier to read and handle: awk -F, '{C4+=$4} END {print C4}' will do!

Last edited by RudiC; 02-25-2013 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: two btw addenda

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unescaping special characters

how do i unescape special characters in Unix. Suppose i've a file named -xyz.txt, how do I remove the file. Ofcourse Icant give rm -xyz.txt thats not gonna work. We can go in regular expression like this ls | grep -e '-'xyz.txt | rm; but I'd like to know any simpler way than this. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram_r
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

utf-8, problem with special characters

Hi all, We are facing the following problem in our HP-UX machine: software that manipulates utf-8 encoded strings (e.g. during string cut), fails to correctly manipulate strings (all containing Greek characters) that contain special characters like @, &, # etc. Actually, in different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alina
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters giving problem

Hi All, I have a CSV file in which some fields contains special character for ex:- my file is file 1 cat file1 abcd,bgfht,ngbht,abvc **** hdlld,hsgdt,bhfy,knht **** whenever i am trying to put a 4th feild in a variable its giving me list of all the files i have in current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to tail file; problem with awk and special characters

Trying to use code that I found to send only new lines out of a log file by doing: while :; do temp=$(tail -1 logfile.out) awk "/$last/{p=1}p" logfile.out #pipe this to log analyzer program last="$temp" sleep 10 done Script works fine when logfile is basic text, but when it contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moo72moo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Special characters in file

Hi, I am facing a below problem. Inorder to mak sure the below file is fixed width i am using the following command awk '{printf("%-375s\n", $0) } so as to add trailing spaces at the end for records of length less than 375. Input file > inp.txt 1©1234 1234 123©1 The output file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcus_kosaman
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)