Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to delete all mail at once? Post 302772303 by hicksd8 on Monday 25th of February 2013 04:03:51 AM
Old 02-25-2013
I remember having the same issue with Solaris 10 SPARC a long time ago. For some reason I now use 'mailx' command not 'mail' to achieve this.

I don't know why 'mail' command doesn't do this but for sure someone on this forum will tell us.

Hope that helps somewhat.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete all my mail in Linux Red Hat 7.2???

I have so many mails in my mailbox and I just cant delete each one individually. Is there a way to clear up every mail in my mail box without having to actually deal with each one separately???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete all mail in mailx

Hello all, Can some help me write a small script that when executed will delete all mail in mailx? I am having issues where /var is getting full often due to a lot of mail being stored, I would like to run a script on cron which would delete mail every 2 days, any help is much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sqloyd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all mails using mailx or mail

Hi , ?im a newbie using shell scripts. Is there any way to write a script that will delete all mails from my mailbox using mail or mailx command Thanks for your time E. Festas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I delete the file var/spool/mail/news?

The file var/spool/mail/news has grown very large and takes up too much space. Can I delete this without any problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX auto delete old mail messages

We have had an issue where the mail file filled up. Is there a setting in sendmail.cf to automatically remove old emails? Say after 14 days. If not is there any way automatically to delete older mail files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move and later delete mail data of nonexistant users.

Hello everyone! i hope u can help me... i need a script that is able to do: When a user gets deleted in the ldap DB, the mail folder remains. How can i move to another location and delete it after a month? :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreaker12
2 Replies

8. Linux

How can I search and delete mail?

Hi, I'd like to delete emails on one of my Linux boxes using a criteria and I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions? The emails I'd like to delete have all the following sub-string: checkdefunct.sh.sh I have more than 187.000 emails and 90% of them I'd like to get rid of. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fabiogilr
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
BINMAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							BINMAIL(1)

NAME
binmail - send or receive mail among users SYNOPSIS
/bin/mail [ + ] [ -i ] [ person ] ... /bin/mail [ + ] [ -i ] -f file DESCRIPTION
Note: This is the old version 7 UNIX system mail program. The default mail command is described in Mail(1), and its binary is in the directory /usr/ucb. mail with no argument prints a user's mail, message-by-message, in last-in, first-out order; the optional argument + displays the mail mes- sages in first-in, first-out order. For each message, it reads a line from the standard input to direct disposition of the message. newline Go on to next message. d Delete message and go on to the next. p Print message again. - Go back to previous message. s [ file ] ... Save the message in the named files (`mbox' default). w [ file ] ... Save the message, without a header, in the named files (`mbox' default). m [ person ] ... Mail the message to the named persons (yourself is default). EOT (control-D) Put unexamined mail back in the mailbox and stop. q Same as EOT. !command Escape to the Shell to do command. * Print a command summary. An interrupt normally terminates the mail command; the mail file is unchanged. The optional argument -i tells mail to continue after interrupts. When persons are named, mail takes the standard input up to an end-of-file (or a line with just `.') and adds it to each person's `mail' file. The message is preceded by the sender's name and a postmark. Lines that look like postmarks are prepended with `>'. A person is usually a user name recognized by login(1). To denote a recipient on a remote system, prefix person by the system name and exclamation mark (see uucp(1C)). The -f option causes the named file, for example, `mbox', to be printed as if it were the mail file. When a user logs in he is informed of the presence of mail. FILES
/etc/passwd to identify sender and locate persons /usr/spool/mail/* incoming mail for user * mbox saved mail /tmp/ma* temp file /usr/spool/mail/*.lock lock for mail directory dead.letter unmailable text SEE ALSO
Mail(1), write(1), uucp(1C), uux(1C), xsend(1), sendmail(8) BUGS
Race conditions sometimes result in a failure to remove a lock file. Normally anybody can read your mail, unless it is sent by xsend(1). An installation can overcome this by making mail a set-user-id command that owns the mail directory. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 BINMAIL(1)