Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing arguments to a perl script Post 302771528 by balajesuri on Thursday 21st of February 2013 01:07:31 AM
Old 02-21-2013
The crude way:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

if ( @ARGV != 2 ) {
    print "Invalid number of arguments.\n";
    exit;
}

my @elements = ();
if ( $ARGV[0] eq "-d" ) {
    @elements = split /,/, $ARGV[1];
    print "Arguments are: @elements\n";
}
else {
    print "Invalid switch. Please try again.\n";
}

You may also take a look at Getopt::Std for a neater implementation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a script

I've written a script (bgrep) for a more advanced grep command (& attached a cut down version below). I'm trying allow all grep options to be used, or in any combination. The script works fine if I type say bgrep -i -files product it will return a non-case sensitive list of matches for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a Perl script

I am playing around with Perl and wrote the script below that is executed from the command line, it will split data up in a file based on a value supplied. When executed you provide two arguments - the file that contains the data to be split and the character you want to split by. It works as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing blank arguments to a script

All, I have a cron job script that receives several command line arguments. At some point if there are validation problems and the job cannot be run, it duplicates the entire command line into a temporary text file which is later executed as a script. Unfortunately when I pass the list of received... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem passing arguments to script

Hi, I am writing a script, which is invoked from other system using ssh. I have problems reading the arguments passing to the script. If the argument has a space in it (ex "rev 2.00"), the script considers "rev" as 1 argument and "2.00" as another. Instead i want "rev 2.00" to be considered... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to Perl Function

Hi All, I am trying to pass an argument called "Pricelist" to a Perl function, then the function will open and print out the contents of the file named "Pricelist". But i can't seem to do it using my below code. Can any expert give some advice? #!/usr/local/bin/perl $DATABASE =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raynon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to sql script

Hi Gurus, i have one requirement in unix script, i have a file called abc.txt in that few lines are there with the empid, i need to read each line and pass to .sql script. ex: abc.txt 2345 2346 1243 1234 i need to pass these arguments to .sql script rom unix ex: select * from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devendar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to external script

Hi! I have a python script that requires arguments and these arguments are file paths. This script works fine when executed like this: /my_python_script "file_path1" "file_path2" (i added quotes as some file names may have weird characters) the issue happens when i launch my python script... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems passing shell arguments to perl

Semi-newbie, so flame throwers to 'singe-only', please. ;-) I have a large number of (say) .html files, where I'd like to do a recursive in-place search and replace a particular string. The following bit of perl works fine: perl -pi -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' `find ./ -name *.html` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnny_canucl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a bash script

Hi, I wanted to pass an argument to a bash script. So that the argument is used inside the awk command inside the bash script. I know the noraml way of passing argument to a bash script as below : sh myScript.sh abc Inside the bash script i can use like this myArg1=$1 wc $myArg But... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments while running the script

Hi, I have a requirement for creating a MQ (queue) where the inputs has to be passed as arguments. Running the script as below ./hi.sh "Servername" "QueueManagername" "QueuecreationCommand" cat hi.sh echo "Welcome to $1" runmqsc $2 < $3 But the queue creation command is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha M
9 Replies
Getopt::Std(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Getopt::Std(3pm)

NAME
getopt, getopts - Process single-character switches with switch clustering SYNOPSIS
use Getopt::Std; getopt('oDI'); # -o, -D & -I take arg. Sets $opt_* as a side effect. getopt('oDI', \%opts); # -o, -D & -I take arg. Values in %opts getopts('oif:'); # -o & -i are boolean flags, -f takes an argument # Sets $opt_* as a side effect. getopts('oif:', \%opts); # options as above. Values in %opts DESCRIPTION
The getopt() function processes single-character switches with switch clustering. Pass one argument which is a string containing all switches that take an argument. For each switch found, sets $opt_x (where x is the switch name) to the value of the argument if an argument is expected, or 1 otherwise. Switches which take an argument don't care whether there is a space between the switch and the argument. The getopts() function is similar, but you should pass to it the list of all switches to be recognized. If unspecified switches are found on the command-line, the user will be warned that an unknown option was given. The getopts() function returns true unless an invalid option was found. Note that, if your code is running under the recommended "use strict 'vars'" pragma, you will need to declare these package variables with "our": our($opt_x, $opt_y); For those of you who don't like additional global variables being created, getopt() and getopts() will also accept a hash reference as an optional second argument. Hash keys will be x (where x is the switch name) with key values the value of the argument or 1 if no argument is specified. To allow programs to process arguments that look like switches, but aren't, both functions will stop processing switches when they see the argument "--". The "--" will be removed from @ARGV. "--help" and "--version" If "-" is not a recognized switch letter, getopts() supports arguments "--help" and "--version". If "main::HELP_MESSAGE()" and/or "main::VERSION_MESSAGE()" are defined, they are called; the arguments are the output file handle, the name of option-processing package, its version, and the switches string. If the subroutines are not defined, an attempt is made to generate intelligent messages; for best results, define $main::VERSION. If embedded documentation (in pod format, see perlpod) is detected in the script, "--help" will also show how to access the documentation. Note that due to excessive paranoia, if $Getopt::Std::STANDARD_HELP_VERSION isn't true (the default is false), then the messages are printed on STDERR, and the processing continues after the messages are printed. This being the opposite of the standard-conforming behaviour, it is strongly recommended to set $Getopt::Std::STANDARD_HELP_VERSION to true. One can change the output file handle of the messages by setting $Getopt::Std::OUTPUT_HELP_VERSION. One can print the messages of "--help" (without the "Usage:" line) and "--version" by calling functions help_mess() and version_mess() with the switches string as an argument. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Getopt::Std(3pm)