Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding missing lines in file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding missing lines in file Post 302770135 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of February 2013 01:58:29 PM
Old 02-14-2013
Duplicate, original here

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to a file between lines

Suppose content of my first file: first line second line third line How can i insert text between "first line" & "second Iline" Any help?????/ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines present in one file but missing in another using Perl

Hey I have an input file containing a list of numbers like: U01120.CDS.1 D25328.CDS.1 X15573.CDS.1 K03515.CDS.1 L44140.CDS.10 U24183.CDS.1 M97347.CDS.1 U05259.CDS.1 And another input file containing results created on the basis of the above input: G6PT_HUMAN U01120.CDS.1 -1.9450 3.1706... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Banni
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to print the missing lines in 1 file from 1 file via script

Hi, I am writting a script which will take all the files present in 2 directories. (the 2 directories have the same files with same name but some different content) i need 2 compare 2 files and then copy the contents of file1 to file2. the contents which are missing in file1 and nothing from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

join based on line number when one file is missing lines

I have a file that contains 87 lines, each with a set of coordinates (x & y). This file looks like: 1 200.3 -0.3 2 201.7 -0.32 ... 87 200.2 -0.314 I have another file which contains data that was taken at certain of these 87 positions. i.e.: 37 125 42 175 86 142 where the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiev
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding missing lines in file

Dear all, I have a file with two columns - the first column is increasing every 50, the second column is just count (e.g. 5). However, when count is zero, no line is present. Sample: How can I change the file so as to include lines with zero count? e.g. in the previous file to put... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines at a particular location in a file.

Hi Experts, Let us take a text file,say items.txt having the following data jar bottle gum tube cereal bag I want to add the content of items.txt to another file say #many lines not necessary ingredients #many line not necesary ingredients I want to append the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines to a large file

Hello, I have a relatively large text file (25,000K) consisting of records of data. For each record, I need to create a new line based on what is already there. Every record has a block that looks like, M END > <ID> 1 > <SOURCE> KEGG > <SOURCE_ID> C00002 > <NAME> ATP;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)