Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Efficient logging of time measurements Post 302767681 by venam on Thursday 7th of February 2013 08:12:38 AM
Old 02-07-2013
The idea of using a pipe is pretty cool. I never taught about that. Next time I do something I'll take that into consideration. It's going to be way faster But isn't it going to be a little harsh on I/O, I mean it depends on the interval the reader will loop in the pipe.
Anyway, you're answer is cool.

Last edited by venam; 02-07-2013 at 09:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Efficient Dispatching

Does anyone know what's new with Efficient dispatching in the Solaris 2.8 release (vs Solaris 2.6) release? Specifically, does anyone know of a good website to get detailed information on thread dispatching using efficient dispatching in solaris 2.8? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uchachra
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a more efficient way?

I'm using korn shell to connect to oracle, retrieve certain values, put them in a list, and iterate through them. While this method works, I can't help but think there is an easier method. If you know of one, please suggest a shorter, more efficient method. ############### FUNCTIONS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SelectSplat
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way of Awk

Hi, Can someone let me know if the below AWK can be made much simpler / efficient ? I have 200 fields, I need to substr only the last fields. So i'm printing awk -F~ 'print {$1, $2, $3....................................$196,$197 , susbstr($198,1,3999), substr($199,1,3999)..}' Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you suggest a more efficient way for this?

Hi I have the following at the end of a service shutdown script used in part of an active-passive failover setup: ### # Shutdown all primary Network Interfaces # associated with failover ### # get interface names based on IP's # and shut them down to simulate loss of # heartbeatd ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to make this more efficient

I have the following code. printf "Test Message Report" > report.txt while read line do msgid=$(printf "%n" "$line" | cut -c1-6000| sed -e 's///g' -e 's|.*ex:Msg\(.*\)ex:Msg.*|\1|') putdate=$(printf "%n" "$line" | cut -c1-6000| sed -e 's///g' -e 's|.*PutDate\(.*\)PutTime.*|\1|')... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

efficient repace

some of the data i receive has been typed in manually due to which there are often places where i find 8 instead of ( and the incorrect use of case what according to you is the best way to correct such data. The data has around 20,000 records. The value i want to change is in the 4th field.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VGR
2 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Constant Logging In (After Logging Out)

Hi Everyone. First, I want to thank all of you for letting me participate in this great group. I am having a bit of a problem. After I get an email from a responder, I login to make my reply. In the mean time I get another response by email from another member, I go to reply to them and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Efficient way to grep

Hi Experts, I've been trying simple grep to search for a string in a huge number of files in a directory. grep <pattern> * this gives the search results as well as the following - grep: <filename>: Permission denied grep: <filename>: Permission denied for files which I don't have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Efficient Looping

Hello guys My requirement is to read a file with parent-child relationship we need to iterate through each row to find its latest child. for eg. parent child ABC PQR PQR DEF DEF XYZ Expected Output ABC XYZ PQR XYZ DEF XYZ Script Logic : read parent from file seach child... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshiamit
4 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
pipe(fildes) int fildes[2]; DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to 4096 bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. Writes with a count of 4096 bytes or less are atomic; no other process can inter- sperse data. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The Shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2) DIAGNOSTICS
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if too many files are already open. A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. BUGS
Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. ASSEMBLER
(pipe = 42.) sys pipe (read file descriptor in r0) (write file descriptor in r1) PIPE(2)