Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Removing Old log files from Linux Post 302766207 by Corona688 on Monday 4th of February 2013 11:16:05 AM
Old 02-04-2013
That your find command is taking so long means you've either let it search too widely, or you have a real messy and full directory structure that can't be sped up.

Hoping it's the former, please show us your slow find command and some examples of files in locations you want it to remove.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Files

I am trying to remove a file so that I can delete a directory. Unfortuantely the file looks like this --------.--- and the system is not allowing me to remove the file. System message is rm: Error: Illegal option -- - usage: rm file... I have tried rm * and rm *.* to no avail. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blondie
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing linux/extra partition??

ok, well i never could get my internet connection setup in linux so now it is just wasting space on my system... so, how do i get rid of it and the extra partition made during install?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justchillin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing files

Hello all, I'd like to remove files which is returned by the following statement ls -l arch*.dbf|grep "`date|cut -c5-10`" (cut -c5-10 =Mar 20) To achive this,I tried the following statments but none worked .. rm < `ls -l arch*.dbf|grep "`date|cut -c5-10`"` rm `ls -l arch*.dbf|grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing old files except configuration files and folders

Dear all, I want to remove files older than 2 months in the /home/member directory. But except the configuration files (like .bash_profile .config/ .openoffice/ .local/ .kde/ etc..) I have tried with the command find . -mtime +60 -wholename './.*' -prune -o -print -exec mv {} \; but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcalicut
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing log files, removing spaces and replace with commas

Hello all i am working on a database to import log files from my systems, but i cannot seem to find the answer. I searched here for a good bit and couldnt peice together what i was looking for. I know you could do this with awk, i just dont know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^@ character at the end own belowof Linux file

Hi, I have a Linux file which has content as sh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvanas
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^@ chanracter fromthe end of Linux file

Hi, I have a Linux file which has content as shown below 2,Latest Event in RFP_EVENT match Lastest event in Source PRH_RQ_REQUEST,Failed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvanas
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Single line archive log files command if exceed certain limit in Linux

Hello Guys, Is there a single line archive command to zip or tar log files which is larger than certain size limit ? Do let me know if there is any. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnknownGuy
7 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)