Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Why this message came when i added user in group? Post 302765209 by jim mcnamara on Friday 1st of February 2013 04:18:47 PM
Old 02-01-2013
It is complaining about the underscore character.
Here is why from the doc set:

Quote:
Note - Even though names can include a period (.), underscore (_), or hyphen (-),
using these characters is not recommended because they can cause problems with
some software products.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Group

I can't get a clear answer on this one... I have a Oracle user created in group 'dba' when this user touches a file the group displayed is 'sys' - why? The 'sys' group is not included in the list of secondary groups for this user. Is this standard to Oracle on Unix? (AIX) Anybody? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: errolg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many user can be added to single group

Hi There, How many user can be added to a unix single group. I need this for unix and solaris. BRs -----Post Update----- I'm asking about secondary group and not primary group. All the users are having 8 character as their username. value is set for getconf LINE_MAX is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maestromani
1 Replies

4. Solaris

su: No shell/No directory! if sys is added to a users secondary group

Hi, When I include a user to the secondary group "sys" GID=3 in Solaris 9 OS I'm not able to login. I get these error. The user home directory and the shell exists. Is this because of any security hardening. # su - agent No directory! # su agent su: No shell # grep taddm /etc/passwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: agent001
14 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

6. Debian

Group/User

Can someone help in creating a group and user. syntax to create a Group called Members. syntax to create a user called AAAA and place in to the Group Members. Thanks for your help in Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sawyer
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to find when a user is added in Linux host?

Is there a way/command/script to find when a user is added in linux host? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Account added to group

Hi , Is there a way to find out when an account was added to a group in Windows 2003?Could you please tell me how to find that? Regards, Maddy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
1 Replies
id(1M)							  System Administration Commands						    id(1M)

NAME
id - return user identity SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/id [-p] [user] /usr/bin/id -a [-p] [user] /usr/xpg4/bin/id [-p] [user] /usr/xpg4/bin/id -G [-n] [user] /usr/xpg4/bin/id -g [-nr] [user] /usr/xpg4/bin/id -u [-nr] [user] DESCRIPTION
If no user operand is provided, the id utility writes the user and group IDs and the corresponding user and group names of the invoking process to standard output. If the effective and real IDs do not match, both are written. If multiple groups are supported by the underly- ing system, /usr/xpg4/bin/id also writes the supplementary group affiliations of the invoking process. If a user operand is provided and the process has the appropriate privileges, the user and group IDs of the selected user are written. In this case, effective IDs are assumed to be identical to real IDs. If the selected user has more than one allowable group membership listed in the group database, /usr/xpg4/bin/id writes them in the same manner as the supplementary groups described in the preceding paragraph. Formats The following formats are used when the LC_MESSAGES locale category specifies the "C" locale. In other locales, the strings uid, gid, euid, egid, and groups may be replaced with more appropriate strings corresponding to the locale. "uid=%u(%s) gid=%u(%s) " <real user ID>, <user-name>, <real group ID>, <group-name> If the effective and real user IDs do not match, the following are inserted immediately before the character in the previous format: " euid=%u(%s)" with the following arguments added at the end of the argument list: <effective user ID>, <effective user-name> If the effective and real group IDs do not match, the following is inserted directly before the character in the format string (and after any addition resulting from the effective and real user IDs not matching): " egid=%u(%s)" with the following arguments added at the end of the argument list: <effectivegroup-ID>, <effectivegroupname> If the process has supplementary group affiliations or the selected user is allowed to belong to multiple groups, the first is added directly before the NEWLINE character in the format string: " groups=%u(%s)" with the following arguments added at the end of the argument list: <supplementary group ID>, <supplementary group name> and the necessary number of the following added after that for any remaining supplementary group IDs: ",%u(%s)" and the necessary number of the following arguments added at the end of the argument list: <supplementary group ID>, <supplementary group name> If any of the user ID, group ID, effective user ID, effective group ID or supplementary/multiple group IDs cannot be mapped by the system into printable user or group names, the corresponding (%s) and name argument is omitted from the corresponding format string. When any of the options are specified, the output format is as described under OPTIONS. OPTIONS
The following option is supported by both /usr/bin/id and /usr/xpg4/bin/id. For /usr/xpg4/bin/id, -p is invalid if specified with any of the -G, -g, or -u options. -p Reports additionally the current project membership of the invoking process. The project is reported using the format: "projid=%u(%s)" which is inserted prior to the 0fR character of the default format described in the Formats section. The arguments <project ID>,<project name> are appended to the end of the argument list. If the project ID cannot be mapped by the system into a printable project name, the corresponding (%s) and name argument is omitted from the corresponding format string. /usr/bin/id The following option is supported for /usr/bin/id only: -a Reports user name, user ID and all the groups to which the user belongs. /usr/xpg4/bin/id The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/id only: -G Outputs all different group IDs (effective, real and supplementary) only, using the format "%u ". If there is more than one dis- tinct group affiliation, output each such affiliation, using the format " %u", before the NEWLINE character is output. -g Outputs only the effective group ID, using the format "%u ". -n Outputs the name in the format "%s" instead of the numeric ID using the format "%u". -r Outputs the real ID instead of the effective ID. -u Outputs only the effective user ID, using the format "%u ". OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: user The user (login) name for which information is to be written. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of id: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/id +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu, SUNWcar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/id +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fold(1), logname(1), who(1), getgid(2), getgroups(2), getprojid(2), getuid(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
Output produced by the -G option and by the default case could potentially produce very long lines on systems that support large numbers of supplementary groups. SunOS 5.10 24 Jan 2000 id(1M)