Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Psql replace blanks with character Post 302763181 by Yoda on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 04:16:35 PM
Old 01-29-2013
Use condition:
Code:
SELECT name,date,value FROM table where nvl(length(trim(value)),0)=0

to identify blank values.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access psql from perl script?

Hi All, How to access the postgreSQL from a perl script? Thanks in advance JS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple blanks within double quotes

I have various column names within double quotes, separated by commas. Example: "column one", "column number two", "this is column number three", anothercolumn, yetanothercolumn I need to eliminate the double quotes and replace the blanks within the double quotes by underscores, giving: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrogan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

psql output without return \n

Hi Everyone, When i finish running # echo `psql -t -U root databaseA -c "select a, b from book"`; i get the output 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 Would like to have the result like: 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blanks with | (pipe)

Hello, I'm trying to replace the first x number of spaces in a line with a |. Right now I'm using a very inefficient syntax to accomplish the task and was looking to simplify it. I have several cases were the pipes need to replace just the first space on the line, which I did a simple... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace certain character at specific place with related character

hello i have file with 100k records and each one has certain value that starts at 28th column and certain value that starts at 88th column e.g. 1st file <25>1234567 ..... <88> 8573785485 i have aditional file with values which are related to value that starts at 88th column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell1520
1 Replies

10. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to replace value of password tag in xml with blanks when special characters are there?

Hi All, I am trying to replace the values inside <password> tag in an xml file but it doesn't replace certain passwords: For eg: Server/home/sperinc>cat TextXML.txt <appIds> <entry name="AccountXref"> <type id="ldap"> <realm>nam</realm> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saroopkris85
7 Replies
EXPAND(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 EXPAND(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand -- expand tabs to spaces, and vice versa SYNOPSIS
expand [-t tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file ...] unexpand [-a | -t tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The expand utility processes the named files or the standard input writing the standard output with tabs changed into blanks. Backspace characters are preserved into the output and decrement the column count for tab calculations. The expand utility is useful for pre-process- ing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, etc.) that contain tabs. The unexpand utility puts tabs back into the data from the standard input or the named files and writes the result on the standard output. The following options are available: -a (unexpand only.) By default, only leading blanks and tabs are reconverted to maximal strings of tabs. If the -a option is given, then tabs are inserted whenever they would compress the resultant file by replacing two or more characters. -t tab1,tab2,...,tabn Set tab stops at column positions tab1, tab2, ..., tabn. If only a single number is given, tab stops are set that number of column positions apart instead of the default number of 8. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of expand and unexpand as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The expand and unexpand utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. STANDARDS
The expand and unexpand utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The expand command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
October 13, 2006 BSD