Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Backtick and escapes Post 302760049 by Subbeh on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 10:01:33 AM
Old 01-23-2013
What kind of errors do you get? Try replacing the backticks with $(...code...)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with GNU screen: Backtick and Caption.

I'm trying to get GNU screen to show the output of "uptime" for the host being accessed in the current window, but unfortunately, no matter what window I go in, it shows the uptime for the host I originally launched screen in ("adminhost"). Does anyone know how to get this to update from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

By using awk, how to '(backtick)?

Can I know how to express the '(backtick) in awk?! By typing \' ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the backtick(')

For example: I got a list of file end at .txt. I want all of them do the same command like grep '^@' and attached it to a output .sh file. This is the command I type: ls *.txt | awk '{print "grep \' \^\@\' ",$1}' > txt.sh My desired output is when I type the command "more txt.sh " The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: combine Backtick & system() I/O operation?

Hi - Within perl I want to execute a system command. I want to re-direct all the output from the command to a file (@result = `$cmd`;), but I ALSO want the results to be displayed on the screen (system("$cmd"); The reason is this - if the command completes, I want to process the output. If the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffw_00
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Backtick Errors

When trying to use backticks for system commands, is there a way to read the error messages if a command doesn't execute properly? I have no problem getting the results if the command is properly executed. Ex. my @result = `dir`; foreach my $line (@result) { print "Result = $line";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with escapes AND spaces?

It's been covered in lots of places, and I have banged on it for about an hour and I am not making any headway on this particular string. A weather-related web page I want to monitor has text on the screen, but it changes. Right now, the page has "None issued by this office recently." but in 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

use backtick inside awk

Hello, Can't we use backtick operator inside awk. nawk ' BEGIN { RS=""; FS="\</input\>" } { for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if ($i~/\"\"/) { print `grep XYZ $i`; print $i } } } ' test In the following code, I need to print $i and some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies
mysql(1)							  MySQL database							  mysql(1)

NAME
mysql_fix_privilege_tables - Fixes MySQL privilege tables. SYNOPSIS
mysql_fix_privilege_tables [mysql_root_password] DESCRIPTION
This scripts updates the mysql.user, mysql.db, mysql.host and the mysql.func tables to MySQL 3.22.14 and above. This is needed if you want to use the new GRANT functions, CREATE AGGREGATE FUNCTION or want to use the more secure passwords in 3.23 If you get 'Access denied' errors, run the script again and give the MySQL root user password as an argument. SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), replace(1) For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Christian Hammers <ch@debian.org>. MySQL is available at http://www.mysql.com/. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 17 March 2003 mysql(1)