Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting the path permanently using shell script Post 302757673 by pjeedu2247 on Thursday 17th of January 2013 11:36:50 PM
Old 01-18-2013
I just want to set the path permanently, I mean it should not change even after reboot.

echo $PATH should my extension permanently.

Please let me know if I'm confusing you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a shell script to know it's path

Is it possible in Bash (or any other shell) to get a shell script to know it's own path without having to be part of $PATH or anything like that. I need this cos i want the script to be able to rename the directory in which it resides. is this possible? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nat
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in setting classpath in shell script

please send me format for wriiting classpath in shell script this is my shell script --------------- #! /bin/bash javac File1.java /usr/bin/java File1 -------------------------- the script works fine on termianal but in cron it gives me error saying class defination not found ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in setting PATH variable in bash shell

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I tried adding an entry to the path variable like below export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xxx/bin But am getting an error invalid identifier /opt/xxx/bin Can someone tell me the error above and correct me . Thanks and Regards, Padmini (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Is there any way to add an exception for a port in the firewall setting, permanently?

Hello, I want to add a port in the firewall exception list so that my application can be accessed over network even if firewall is disabled. I am using iptables command to add exception. The problem is, after setting the rule if I change the firewall setting i.e. on/off then it is overwriting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senrooy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a path in bash shell

Hello all, Sorry if the question if stupid but I have no big experience with programming. I am trying to set a path to be used in a makefile.in, for installation of a Fortran code. The makefile.in contains the string $(CODE_NAME) Now, when I type in the bash shell export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laura74
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh env setting using shell script

Hi All, I have made a file file usercreate.sh & it has to run in tcsh env & needs some path to be set. my script is as below. ########################## #!/bin/csh setenv PATH "/usr/lib/java/class" setenv LD_LIBRARAY_PATH ########################### but when i am ruuning my script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a shell script variable in awk

The following is part of a larger shell script grep -v "Col1" my_test.log | grep -v "-" | awk '$5 == "Y" {print $1}' instead of printing, can I set set $1 to a variable that the rest of the shell script can read? if $5 == Y, I want to call another shell script and pass $1 as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

add path variable permanently

Hi, I have added the path variable as below export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burton
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Setting Env Variables

Hello All. Good Afternoon. I need one small help regarding setting of env variables for a particular host by getting it from the DB. For ex : 1. I am using LOCALHOST. 2. When I run a ./hostset.sh it should pick up the Oracle home details from associated DB and set it. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PavanPatil
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Add directory to path permanently

I ssh in and am trying to add a directory permanently to $PATH in centos 7 and having issues. My current $PATH is echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin but when I do a sudo nano ~/.bashrc # .bashrc # User specific aliases and functions alias... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
PATHINFO(3)								 1							       PATHINFO(3)

pathinfo - Returns information about a file path

SYNOPSIS
mixed pathinfo (string $path, [int $options = PATHINFO_DIRNAME | PATHINFO_BASENAME | PATHINFO_EXTENSION | PATHINFO_FILENAME]) DESCRIPTION
pathinfo(3) returns information about $path: either an associative array or a string, depending on $options. PARAMETERS
o $path - The path to be parsed. o $options - If present, specifies a specific element to be returned; one of PATHINFO_DIRNAME, PATHINFO_BASENAME, PATHINFO_EXTENSION or PATHINFO_FILENAME. If $options is not specified, returns all available elements. RETURN VALUES
If the $options parameter is not passed, an associative array containing the following elements is returned: dirname, basename, extension (if any), and filename. Note If the $path has more than one extension, PATHINFO_EXTENSION returns only the last one and PATHINFO_FILENAME only strips the last one. (see first example below). Note If the $path does not have an extension, no extension element will be returned (see second example below). If $options is present, returns a string containing the requested element. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.0 | | | | | | | The PATHINFO_FILENAME constant was added. | | | | +--------+--------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 pathinfo(3) Example <?php $path_parts = pathinfo('/www/htdocs/inc/lib.inc.php'); echo $path_parts['dirname'], " "; echo $path_parts['basename'], " "; echo $path_parts['extension'], " "; echo $path_parts['filename'], " "; // since PHP 5.2.0 ?> The above example will output: /www/htdocs/inc lib.inc.php php lib.inc Example #2 pathinfo(3) example showing difference between null and no extension <?php $path_parts = pathinfo('/path/emptyextension.'); var_dump($path_parts['extension']); $path_parts = pathinfo('/path/noextension'); var_dump($path_parts['extension']); ?> The above example will output something similar to: string(0) "" Notice: Undefined index: extension in test.php on line 6 NULL NOTES
Note For information on retrieving the current path info, read the section on predefined reserved variables. Note pathinfo(3) is locale aware, so for it to parse a path containing multibyte characters correctly, the matching locale must be set using the setlocale(3) function. SEE ALSO
dirname(3), basename(3), parse_url(3), realpath(3). PHP Documentation Group PATHINFO(3)