Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I have firewall rules to open ports, why telnet refuses connection? Post 302754621 by fpmurphy on Thursday 10th of January 2013 08:22:05 PM
Old 01-10-2013
If your MTA (Postfix) is running on your localhost, and you flush your firewall rules, your should be able to telnet to either port 25, or more likely nowadays, 587 on your localhost.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to telnet if you r behind firewall????

Hi all My freind has Windows 98 and behind a firewall ports used are (LAN) http:80 ftp :80 Socks :1080 I have telnet server and connected to TCP/IP i.e modem and phone line I want to let my freind Enter my linux box (telnet tunnel) i.e using port 80 and redirect it to telnet port:23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Firewall - 2 Internet accesses - routing rules from source

Hello, I would like to modify my firewall configuration for being able to handle 2 internet connections in my Red zone. I would then like to configure some selecting routing rules depending on the internal source. Actual configuration: ===================== 1 router A (ISP)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: el70
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Firewall to other machines open

Hi, I am relatively new to UNIX. From the UNIX machine is there anyway of finding out to what and all other machines is the firewall open. We usually do telnet <machine_name> <port> to fidn out if the firewall is open. Is there anyway i can get an entire list. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnatarajan
0 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Firewall Ports

Could someone please settle an inter-office argument? Will your network traffic be slower through a firewall on any other port other than port 80. In other words, is port 80 faster than any other port you open on the firewall. I say no. Thanks in advance for the help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocolsmith
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet script to test open ports on mult servers

Hello All, Can somebody help me with this script. I have an output file with a list of servers ips and ports. I need to be able to run this script to list all the server ips in the outfile and find out if the port is open or not. #!/bin/sh IFS=#;for i in $(cat portTest); do # check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking firewall connection

Dear all I am writing a shell script to use telnet for the connection test There are 3 cases to test and detail as: /* Case 1 - The port can be connected */ # telnet host_a 20101 < /dev/null 2>&1 | grep -q Connected # echo $? return 0 /* Case 2 - The port cannot be connected */ #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: on9west
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Iptables/Firewall rules for multicast IP.

Hi Gurus, I need to add Multicast Port = xyz Multicast Address = 123.134.143 ( example) to my firewall rules. Can you please guide me with the lines I need to update my iptables files with. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIX firewall accept established connection

I'm trying to configure a firewall for AIX to accept incoming connections on ports 22 and 443 and deny everything else. All is ok; the server accepts connections only on 22 and 443, but after that I also need to accept all outgoing connections -- ssh and telnet, for example. So I started with ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael1457
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet of multiple server and ports

Hi, I do a telnet to a single server using command :telnet tibserver001 9640 The output i get is : Trying 10.19.... Connected to tibserver001 However i need to put all the servers in a single file and get the output to see if the server is connected or not. #! /bin/bash telnet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
3 Replies
DCONSCHAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      DCONSCHAT(8)

NAME
dconschat -- user interface to dcons(4) SYNOPSIS
dconschat [-brvwRT1] [-e escape-char] [-h hz] [-C console_port] [-G gdb_port] [-M core] [-N system] dconschat [-brvwR1] [-h hz] [-C console_port] [-G gdb_port] [-a address] [-u bus_num] -t target_eui64 DESCRIPTION
The dconschat utility is designed to provide a way for users to access dcons(4) (dumb console device) on a local or remote system. The dconschat utility interacts with dcons(4) using kvm(3) or firewire(4), and interacts with the user over TTY or TCP/IP. To access remote dcons(4) using firewire(4), you have to specify target EUI64 address using the -t option. Physical DMA should be enabled on the target machine for access via FireWire. The dconschat utility and the dcons(4) driver communicate using 2 ports, one for the console port and another for remote gdb(1) port. Users are supposed to access dconschat using TTY, telnet(1) and gdb(1). You can specify listen ports for console and gdb(1) port using the -C and -G options respectively. The port number 0 has special meaning that current TTY (stdin/stdout) is used instead of TCP/IP. A negative port number will disable the port. By analogy with pty(4) device, the dcons(4) acts as a slave device and dconschat acts as a master device with telnetd(8). Typed characters are normally transmitted directly to dcons(4). A escape character (the default is '~' ) appearing as the first character of a line is an escape signal; the following are recognized: ~. Drop the connection and exit. ~^G Invoke kgdb on the terminal on which dconschat is running. ~^R Reset the target over FireWire if a reset address is registered in Configuration ROM. ~^Z Suspend the dconschat process. The following options are supported. -b Translate Ctrl-C to ALT_BREAK (CR + '~' + Ctrl-B) on gdb(1) port. -r Replay old buffer on connection. -v Verbose debug output. Multiple -v options increase verbosity. -w Listen on a wildcard address rather than localhost. -R Read-only. Do not write anything to the dcons(4) buffer. -T Enable ad-hoc workaround for the TELNET protocol to remove unnecessary byte sequences. It should be set when you access dconschat using telnet(1). -1 One-shot. Read available buffer, then exit. This implies the -r option. -e escape-char Specify escape character. The default is '~'. -h hz Specify polling rate. The default value is 100. -C console_port Specify the console port. The default value is 0 (stdin/stdout). -G gdb_port Specify gdb(1) port. The default value is -1 (disabled). -M core Specify core file. -N system Specify system file such as /boot/kernel/kernel. -t target_eui64 Specify the 64-bit extended unique identifier of the target, and use FireWire to access remote dcons(4). -a address Specify the physical I/O address of the dcons(4) buffer. See dcons(4) for details. If this option is not specified, dconschat tries to get the address from the Configuration ROM on the target. You are supposed to enable dcons_crom(4) on the target to omit this option. -u bus_num Specify FireWire bus number. The default is 0. FILES
/dev/fwmem0.0 /dev/mem /dev/kmem EXAMPLES
To use dconschat with FireWire for remote dcons(4), you have to specify the EUI64 of the target. You can obtain EUI64 by running fwcontrol(8) without options. The first EUI64 is of the host running fwcontrol(8) and others on the bus follow. # fwcontrol 2 devices (info_len=2) node EUI64 status 1 77-66-55-44-33-22-11-00 0 0 00-11-22-33-44-55-66-77 1 The EUI64 does not change unless you change the hardware as the ethernet address. Now we can run dconschat. # dconschat -br -G 12345 -t 00-11-22-33-44-55-66-77 You will get console output of the target and login prompt if a getty(8) is running on dcons(4). You can break to DDB with ALT_BREAK (CR + '~' + Ctrl-B) if DDB and ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER are enabled in the target kernel. To quit the session, type CR + '~' + '.' in the console port. Using gdb(1) port is almost the same as remote gdb(1) over serial line except using TCP/IP instead of /dev/cu*. See On-line Kernel Debugging Using Remote GDB section of The FreeBSD Developers Handbook and gdb(4) for details. % gdb -k kernel.debug (kgdb) target remote :12345 Once gdb(1) is attached and you specified the -b option to dconschat, typing Ctrl-C in gdb(1) causes a break to debugger. The following command gets the console log from the crash dump: # dconschat -1 -M vmcore.0 -N kernel.0 If you want access to the console using telnet(1), try the following: # dconschat -rTC 5555 & # telnet localhost 5555 You may want to keep logging console output of several machines. conserver-com in the Ports collection may help you. Insert the following lines in conserver.cf: console local { master localhost; type exec; exec /usr/sbin/dconschat -rh 25; } console remote { master localhost; type exec; exec /usr/sbin/dconschat -rh 25 -t 00-11-22-33-44-55-66-77; } SEE ALSO
gdb(1), telnet(1), kvm(3), dcons(4), dcons_crom(4), ddb(4), firewire(4), fwohci(4), gdb(4), eui64(5), fwcontrol(8) AUTHORS
Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
This utility is currently under development. BSD
February 11, 2003 BSD