Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difficulty in understanding sort command Post 302754351 by Corona688 on Thursday 10th of January 2013 12:55:32 PM
Old 01-10-2013
-k 5,5 means sort on the 5th column. Which column to start on, and which column to end on.
-r means sort in descending order.
-n means sort numerically. (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11, vs 1 10 11 2 3 4 5 ... )

| head -n 10 means 'only show the first 10 lines'.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Understanding a Unix Command

Trying to install something. Can someone explain what this means? chmod -R a+r . chmod -R a+w logo.gif tempdir/ templates_c/ I recognize that file permissions are being changed (chmod), but beyond that, it's Greek to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris86
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the sed command

Guys, I am trying to understand the sed command here. adx001 $ a=/clocal/dctrdata/user/dctrdat1/trdroot/recouncil adx001 $ b=`echo $a | sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'` adx001 $ echo $b \/clocal\/dctrdata\/user\/dctrdat1\/trdroot\/recouncil The sed command i took it from the script. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the kill command

Hi Guys, I like to know if i have a process which triggers 10 different child processes. How to identify out of the 11 processes running which is the parent process and what are the child process? And if i kill the parent process will the child process be killed.. if not is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding the output command

Could you please explain me whats happening in the below code, appreciate your help, Thank you. /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/ExtProc/NewDAC/dacRecBuilder.sh /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/TgtFiles/NEW_DAC/DAC_Pos_TradeInv_Records.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl command understanding

Hi All, Can you please help me interpret the following command. Which I am not able to understand. Also can you please illustrate what it is used for. perl -pi -e 's/\015//g' text_file.dat Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh.su30
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difficulty with set - command

Hi , i have a shell script with the first two lines as #! /bin/ksh set -x when i try opening the file from unix using the command 'sh filename.sh' , i am getting the below error : invalid optionline 2: set: - Pls help Use code tags for you code and data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajankum
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Need Help in Understanding a command

Hello I am working on a Change request and Stuck at a point. The below awk command is used in the function. float_test ( ) { echo | awk 'END { exit ( !( '"$1"')); }' } I understand that awk 'END' is used to add one line at the end and exit is used to end the script with an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
4 Replies
ppmhist(1)						      General Commands Manual							ppmhist(1)

NAME
ppmhist - print a histogram of a portable pixmap SYNOPSIS
ppmhist [-hexcolor] [-noheader] [-map] [-nomap] [-sort={frequency,rgb}] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a PPM image as input. Generates a histogram of the colors in the image, i.e. a list of all the colors and how many pixels of each color are in the image. OPTIONS
-sort={frequency,rgb} The -sort option determines the order in which the colors are listed in the output. frequency means to list them in order of how pixels in the input image have the color, with the most represented colors first. rgb means to sort them first by the intensity of the red component of the color, the of the green, then of the blue, with the least intense first. The default is frequency. -hexcolor Print the color components in hexadecimal. Default is decimal. -noheader Do not print the column headings. -map Generates a PPM file of the colormap for the image, with the color histogram as comments. -nomap Generates the histogram for human reading. This is the default. SEE ALSO
ppm(5), pgmhist(1), ppmtomap(1), pnmhistmap(1), ppmchange(1) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 17 September 2000 ppmhist(1)