Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in awk/bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in awk/bash Post 302751753 by jim mcnamara on Friday 4th of January 2013 11:42:23 AM
Old 01-04-2013
Rather than reading shell books, consider some awk tutorials. A lot of bioinformatic folks comne here for help. 95% of their problems are resolved by awk. awk is a language on its own.

This is a great resource. Gawk is GNU awk, which is very probably what you have when you enter the word awk on the screen.
It has examples, explains the bizarre syntax, and program structure:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/gawk.pdf
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH with AWK

Hello, I have a file.txt with 20000 lines and 2 columns each which consists of current_filename and new_filename . I want to create a script to find files in a directory with current_filename and move it to new folder with new_filename. Could you please help me how to do that?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narasimhulu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any better way for sorting in bash/awk

Hi, I have a file which is:- 1 6 4 8 2 3 2 1 9 3 2 1 3 3 5 6 3 1 4 9 7 8 2 3 I would like to sort from field $2 to field $6 for each of the line to:- 1 2 3 4 6 8 2 1 1 2 3 9 3 1 3 3 5 6 4 2 3 7 8 9 I came across this Arrays on example 26-6. But it is much complicated. I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk bash help

Hi, I'm trying to read a file containing lines with spaces in them. The inputfile looks like this ------------------------------ Command1 arg1 arg2 Command2 arg5 arg6 arg7 ------------------------------- The shell code looks like this... lines=`awk '{ print }' inputfile` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a-gopal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting help with bash and awk

I'm trying to reformat some tide information into a useable format and failing. Input file is.... 4452 CHENNAI (MADRAS) 13°06'N, 80°18'E India East Coast 01 June 2009 UT(GMT) Data Area 3. Indian Ocean (northern part) and Red Sea to Singapore 01/06/2009 00:00 0.7 m 00:20 0.7 m 00:40... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with BASH/AWK queries ....

Hi Everyone, I have an input file in the following format: score.file1.txt contig00045 length=566 numreads=19 1047 0.0 contig00055 length=524 numreads=7 793 0.0 contig00052 length=535 numreads=10 607 e-176 contig00072 length=472 numreads=46 571 e-165... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/Bash script

I would like to write a script to extend this command to a general case: BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} i.e. so that BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} BEGIN {s_1=0;n_1=0}{n_1++;s_1+=($51-$2)^2}END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in awk/bash

Hi, I am also a newbie in awk and trying to find solution of my problem. I have one reference file 1.txt with 2 columns and I want to search other 10 files (a.txt, b.txt......h.txt each with 5 columns) corresponding to the values of 2nd column from 1.txt. If the value from 2nd column from 1.txt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in awk/bash

Hi, I am also a newbie in awk and trying to find solution of my problem. I have one reference file 1.txt with 2 columns and I want to search other 10 files (a.txt, b.txt......h.txt each with 5 columns) corresponding to the values of 2nd column from 1.txt. If the value from 2nd column from 1.txt... (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
33 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning a value from awk to bash

Hi I am a newbie starting bash and I have a simple need to return the result of an operation from awk to bash. basically I want to use awk to tell me if "#" exists in a string, and then back in bash, i want to do an IF statement on this return in order to do other things. In my bash shell I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oahmad
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New problem with awk using bash

Hi! I have a new problem with awk, this time I think is because I'm using it in bash and I don't know how to put the valor of the variable in awk. Here is the code: #!/bin/bash for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do a=$i b=$ awk '$1>=a&&$1<=b {print $1,$2,$3}'>asdf test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: florpi
3 Replies
GLOBASH(1)							 GLOBAL Utilities							GLOBASH(1)

NAME
globash - invoke a GLOBAL shell environment. SYNOPSIS
globash DESCRIPTION
globash is a bash shell enviroment that provides easy access to GLOBAL data about a project. More information about its use is available in the global.info documentation, and from globash itself at any time with the ghelp command that is available from inside it. OPTIONS
There are no options. Or blue pills. Just a simple shortcut to a bigger shell game. FILES
/etc/globash.rc - where all the real machinery lives. BUGS
As a wrapper globash gets to inherit bugs from other software too. But its hardly big enough to have many on its own. SEE ALSO
gtags(1), global(1), htmake(1), htags(1), and the global info documentation. AUTHOR
Ron Lee <ron@debian.org>, wrote this manpage, added the globash wrapper, and made a few minor tweaks to the globash.rc file which does all the real work and was written by Shigio Yamaguchi. Debian GNU/Linux 6 August 2005 GLOBASH(1)