Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in awk/bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in awk/bash Post 302751601 by Don Cragun on Friday 4th of January 2013 07:04:27 AM
Old 01-04-2013
Note that this is the third thread you have started titled "Help in awk/bash". More descriptive titles would help readers find the right thread.

In the last few posts in your last thread: Help in awk/bash, you said that one of the input files for this project was the file 11.txt which you said contained 10,000 entries. That seems to be the file atom.txt in this thread. You show that all IDs (which seem to be indices into that file) have three digit values(with leading zero fill). Is atom.txt limited to less than 1,000 entries or do some IDs have more than three digits?

You have way too many occurrences of ......... in your posting to determine what you want. In your description, you say:
Code:
Group   Centre      Branches              Id_of_Branches
 10       051          30            003, 007, 051, 034, .................. (30 values)   
 72       183          26            100,................................    
394       600          23             ...................................    
391       641          20             .....................................

what does "(30 values)" mean. Are there 30 fields (some with multiple spaces as separators, some with comma-space as separators [or terminators]) in every line? Are there 33 fields on every line (one for Group ID, one for Centre ID, one for Branches ID, and one for each of 30 branches)? Are there 3 + value_of_3rd_field fields? Give us real values at least for these 4 lines instead of making us guess what .......... means! Did you add commas between or after some fields just to make it harder to process the input?

You say you want 5 output files. Does that mean that g.txt will always contain 4 data lines (plus the line of headings)?

You say: "...5th file for patterns (plural) corresponding to Id (singular) from Centre...". Does this mean that Centre.txt is supposed to contain all 120 (or 99, or ???) entries that will be stored in the four Gxxx files? Does it just contain Id051 as shown? Or, does it contain one entry for each data line in g.txt?

I supplied several awk scripts with detailed explanations of how those script worked in your last thread on this subject (see link above). Can you show us the awk script you're writing to solve this problem? Or are you expecting us to figure out what you want done and do it for you? The purpose of The UNIX and Linux Forums is to help you learn how to write your own scripts; not to act as a place where you can get people to do your design and implementation work for you for free.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH with AWK

Hello, I have a file.txt with 20000 lines and 2 columns each which consists of current_filename and new_filename . I want to create a script to find files in a directory with current_filename and move it to new folder with new_filename. Could you please help me how to do that?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narasimhulu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any better way for sorting in bash/awk

Hi, I have a file which is:- 1 6 4 8 2 3 2 1 9 3 2 1 3 3 5 6 3 1 4 9 7 8 2 3 I would like to sort from field $2 to field $6 for each of the line to:- 1 2 3 4 6 8 2 1 1 2 3 9 3 1 3 3 5 6 4 2 3 7 8 9 I came across this Arrays on example 26-6. But it is much complicated. I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk bash help

Hi, I'm trying to read a file containing lines with spaces in them. The inputfile looks like this ------------------------------ Command1 arg1 arg2 Command2 arg5 arg6 arg7 ------------------------------- The shell code looks like this... lines=`awk '{ print }' inputfile` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a-gopal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting help with bash and awk

I'm trying to reformat some tide information into a useable format and failing. Input file is.... 4452 CHENNAI (MADRAS) 13°06'N, 80°18'E India East Coast 01 June 2009 UT(GMT) Data Area 3. Indian Ocean (northern part) and Red Sea to Singapore 01/06/2009 00:00 0.7 m 00:20 0.7 m 00:40... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with BASH/AWK queries ....

Hi Everyone, I have an input file in the following format: score.file1.txt contig00045 length=566 numreads=19 1047 0.0 contig00055 length=524 numreads=7 793 0.0 contig00052 length=535 numreads=10 607 e-176 contig00072 length=472 numreads=46 571 e-165... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/Bash script

I would like to write a script to extend this command to a general case: BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} i.e. so that BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} BEGIN {s_1=0;n_1=0}{n_1++;s_1+=($51-$2)^2}END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in awk/bash

Hi, I am also a newbie in awk and trying to find solution of my problem. I have one reference file 1.txt with 2 columns and I want to search other 10 files (a.txt, b.txt......h.txt each with 5 columns) corresponding to the values of 2nd column from 1.txt. If the value from 2nd column from 1.txt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in awk/bash

Hi, I am also a newbie in awk and trying to find solution of my problem. I have one reference file 1.txt with 2 columns and I want to search other 10 files (a.txt, b.txt......h.txt each with 5 columns) corresponding to the values of 2nd column from 1.txt. If the value from 2nd column from 1.txt... (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
33 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning a value from awk to bash

Hi I am a newbie starting bash and I have a simple need to return the result of an operation from awk to bash. basically I want to use awk to tell me if "#" exists in a string, and then back in bash, i want to do an IF statement on this return in order to do other things. In my bash shell I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oahmad
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New problem with awk using bash

Hi! I have a new problem with awk, this time I think is because I'm using it in bash and I don't know how to put the valor of the variable in awk. Here is the code: #!/bin/bash for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do a=$i b=$ awk '$1>=a&&$1<=b {print $1,$2,$3}'>asdf test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: florpi
3 Replies