Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Special characters in parameter Post 302747467 by Scrutinizer on Friday 21st of December 2012 11:19:29 AM
Old 12-21-2012
You would need to properly quote the characters on the command line and put double quotes around variable references inside the script..

Code:
$ cat script
echo "$3"
$ ./script foo bar '!@#.:;_'\'\" 
!@#.:;_'"

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep with special characters

Hi there I need to grep for a detail from a file. The pattern to search for involves escape sequences in it. This causes for the problem. grep "P\_SOME\_STRING\_SEARCH" filename Note, I have line like below in the file and expect it to grep. select * from my_system_param ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass special character as parameter?

I need to pass congruent or comma character as parameter. i have tried congruent and it prints home directory. is escape char required. And also in awk i have to pass the no to print a column. e.g awk '{print $Param}' (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A test command parameter is not valid, when special characters are tried to match

Hi I have a scenario where hyphen(-) from file should be ignored I used the following code if && ; then if ; then pow=$LINE echo $pow > history.txt flag=1 fi fi I get the following output ./valid.sh: -: 0403-012 A test... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Look for substrings with special characters

Hello gurus, I have a lookup table cat tmp1 \\\erw``~ 1 ^774574574565665f\] 2 ()42543^ and I`m trying to compare a bunch of strings such that, either the lookup table column 1, or the string to be looked up are substrings of each other (and return the second lookup column if yes). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetalk
2 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)