Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding a string in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding a string in a file Post 302745769 by anand2308 on Tuesday 18th of December 2012 02:49:01 AM
Old 12-18-2012
Thank You All
I also got an option
Code:
cat filename | grep -m1 "Configuration flow done"

It also worked

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain string on each line in a file

Hi, I need a script to get every line from a file where there are less then 17 ; on a line. Thank's (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VODAFUN
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finding a string in a file

hi all.. I dont know how to search for a string in a file.. I have tried doing.. I did google but didnt get effective answers..my code is as follows: int search(char* filename,const char* username,const char* passwd) { int flag=0; unsigned long fsize=0; unsigned long current=0;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ume1986
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding unique string in log file

Shell script help Here is 3 sample lines from a log file <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID= user login <date> DEBUG <java.com.blah> <nlah bla> abcd:ID=123 user login <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID=3243 user login I want to find unique "ID" from this log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a text file and posting part of the line

What would be the most succinct way of doing this (preferably in 1 line, maybe 2): searching the first 10 characters of every line in a text file for a specific string, and if it was found, print out characters 11-20 of the line on which the string was found. In this case, it's known that there... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: busdude
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding string in very long file without newlines

What's the best way to find a string in a very long file without newlines in Unix? The standard utility I'm aware of for finding a string in a single file is grep, but for a long file without newlines, I think the output is just going to be the input. I suppose I could use sed to replace the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronpoley
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mappin strings of two different file and finding the mapped string and then map other fields.

As i am new to unix so facing some problems in scripting: here is my question: i m having two files. 1st file say a.txt contain 3 column like SPECIALITY|UMP_CODE|SPECIALTY_CODE Addictive Diseases|25ADD|ADD Addictive Diseases/Family Practice|25ADD|ADD/FP Aerospace Medicine|1.041666667|AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsh007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting single column text file starting new line when finding particular string

Hi, I have a single colum file and I need to reformat the file so that it creates a new line every time it come to an IP address and the following lines are corresponding rows until it comes to the next IP address. I want to turn this 172.xx.xx.xx gwpusprdrp02_pv seinwnprd03... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with a certain name string inside of another file.

Hi, I have a very large file that contains a listing of all files on the system. I need to create a listing from that file of all files that start with the following format: s???_*, whereas the '?' represents characters, so the file name begins with an 's' followed by three other characters and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tes218
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a list of files, print file names

I'm interested in writing a report script using BASH that searches all of the files in a particular directory for a keyword and printing a list of files containing this string... In fact this reporting script would have searches for multiple keywords, so I'm interested in making multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chemscripter904
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding specific string in file and storing in another file

Text in input file is like this <title> <band height="21" isSplitAllowed="true" > <staticText> <reportElement x="1" y="1" width="313" height="20" key="staticText-1"/> <box></box> <textElement> <font fontName="Arial" pdfFontName="Helvetica-Bold"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aankita30
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)