Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort function UNIX bug ???
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort function UNIX bug ??? Post 302743427 by frank_rizzo on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 08:28:52 PM
Old 12-12-2012
try this.

Code:
env LC_ALL=C sort /path/to/you.file

from the sort docs
Code:
  ---------- Footnotes ----------

(1) If you use a non-POSIX locale (e.g., by setting `LC_ALL' to
`en_US'), then `sort' may produce output that is sorted differently
than you're accustomed to.  In that case, set the `LC_ALL' environment
variable to `C'.  Note that setting only `LC_COLLATE' has two problems.
First, it is ineffective if `LC_ALL' is also set.  Second, it has
undefined behavior if `LC_CTYPE' (or `LANG', if `LC_CTYPE' is unset) is
set to an incompatible value.  For example, you get undefined behavior
if `LC_CTYPE' is `ja_JP.PCK' but `LC_COLLATE' is `en_US.UTF-8'.

This User Gave Thanks to frank_rizzo For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sort function

do any one knows where i can find an implementation in c for the sort function (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbargo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Bug in script - need help

My script is erroring with: testtapemgr.sh: FTP_RETURNS: not found I cannot see what I am doing wrong..when it calls that function from the Volume returns function and says taht FTP_RETURNS is not found and exits out of the script. What am I not seeing here? #### Return Volume Function ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort function in perl

Hi, here is my perl script.This script creates an array and is sorting it using the in-built sort function in perl. #!/usr/local/bin/perl my number=6; my @num_arr=(1,2,3,4,5); my @array=(23,"$number","Hello",2.345,@num_arr); #printing the array print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash-function with array acting bizarre, bug?

Hello, basically what this script is supposed to do is showing a list of hosts that is given a number, that you will be able to choose from a list. A check is made to verify that the chosen number is within the array and this is where things go bad and I don't know why, bizarre. I've spent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gand
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sort function -- My First Unix Homework!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: To sort a data 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: The data provided is saved in dummy.txt and provided in LIBSVM format, but I think this information is redundant.. +1 1:2 2:4 4:3.2 -1 2:2.1 2:2.1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeweepoh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bug in Function Call

Can anybody tell me where is the bug in this below mentioned function call. #The String Search File myString="${LOCATION}/config/stringFile.txt" # Functional Usage function usage() { if ; then echo "************************************************************" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
5 Replies

7. Programming

Tweaked getpass() function gives an untraceable bug

I have customized the getpass() as follows: char* my_getpass(const char* str) { struct termios oflags, nflags; static char passwd; /* disabling echo */ tcgetattr(fileno(stdin), &oflags); nflags = oflags; nflags.c_lflag &= ~ECHO; nflags.c_lflag |= ECHONL; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Small bug in the Quick Editor function in postbit

Hey, There was a small bug in the Quick Editor function in postbit, but I fixed it (basically a double quote was missing from an element id): <div id="post_message_$post" class="neo-message-area">$post</div> Was <div id="post_message_$post class="neo-message-area">$post</div> Should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistent results using sort function

Could you please advise on the following: I have two space-delimited files with 9 and 10 columns, respectively, with exactly the same values in column 1. However, the order of column 1 differs between the two files, so I want to sort both files by column 1, so that I can align them and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
6 Replies
SLABTOP(1)							Linux User's Manual							SLABTOP(1)

NAME
slabtop - display kernel slab cache information in real time SYNOPSIS
slabtop [ options ] DESCRIPTION
slabtop(1) displays detailed kernel slab cache information in real time. It displays a listing of the top caches sorted by one of the listed sort criteria. It also displays a statistics header filled with slab layer information. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of slabtop(1) does not require any options. The behavior, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the following flags: --delay=n, -d n Refresh the display every n seconds. By default, slabtop(1) refreshes the display every three seconds. To exit the program, hit q. --sort=S, -s S Sort by S, where S is one of the sort criteria. --once, -o Display the output once and then exit. --version, -V Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit. SORT CRITERIA
The following are valid sort criteria used to sort the individual slab caches and thereby determine what are the "top" slab caches to dis- play. The default sort criteria is to sort by the number of objects ("o"). The sort criteria can also be changed while slabtop is running by pressing the associated character. a: sort by number of active objects b: sort by objects per slab c: sort by cache size l: sort by number of slabs v sort by number of active slabs n: sort by name o: sort by number of objects p: sort by pages per slab s: sort by object size u: sort by cache utilization COMMANDS
slabtop(1) accepts keyboard commands from the user during use. The following are supported. In the case of letters, both cases are accepted. Each of the valid sort characters are also accepted, to change the sort routine. See the section SORT CRITERIA. <SPACEBAR> Refresh the screen. Q Quit the program. FILES
/proc/slabinfo -- slab information SEE ALSO
free(1), ps(1), top(1), vmstat(8) NOTES
Currently, slabtop(1) requires a 2.4 or later kernel (specifically, a version 1.1 or later /proc/slabinfo). Kernel 2.2 should be supported in the future. The slabtop statistic header is tracking how many bytes of slabs are being used and it not a measure of physical memory. The 'Slab' field in the /proc/meminfo file is tracking information about used slab physical memory. AUTHORS
Written by Chris Rivera and Robert Love. slabtop(1) was inspired by Martin Bligh's perl script, vmtop. The procps package is maintained by Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net>. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net>. Linux 13 Sep 2003 SLABTOP(1)