Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ls -ltr a list of filenames-with-spaces within a text file Post 302736633 by in2nix4life on Tuesday 27th of November 2012 04:07:22 PM
Old 11-27-2012
Code:
ls -ltr $(sed -e 's|\" \"|\n|g' -e 's|"||g' testFile.txt)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

I have a problem with the script below #!/bin/sh for vo in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex "^\./*$"` do ls -l "$vo" some other commands done It works fine until `find ...` returns files with spaces. I've tryed to change IFS but haven't succeed Any solutions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what does the ls -ltr command list

Hi, THe following is the output when i run the command ls -ltr can anyone explain the meaning of the field in red -rw-r----- 3 orca orca 20924 Sep 08 19:21 BTL027SASI.gnt -rw-r----- 3 orca orca 20924 Sep 08 19:21 BTL027RITD.gnt -rw-r----- 3 orca orca ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file, archive, and remove

I posted a week ago regarding this scripting question, but I need to revisit and have a few more questions answered.. User cfajohnson was extremely helpful with the archive script, but clarification on my part is needed to help steer the answer in a direction that works in this particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames, for do

Hi All, I see similar problems in past threads but so far no answers have worked for me. I am trying to write a script which parses a txt file that contains one filename per line, then finds those files on the local disk and copies them to a specified directory. What I have: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naviztirf
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list filenames with spaces in shell script

Hi, I want to list all the files matching in a directory directory given below Here one of the folder has a space in the path. /MAS02/RMS/WBDev/Krishna/Krishna Mohan/FMSplitByKeyAfterChanges1000075383.fileman.*.txt.out.1000075383.0 The following works from command line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hikrishn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the last column of the list contain filenames with spaces.

Hi experts, I have the following data: I want the last filed in the output. How to print the last field , It contains the file names and few filenames with white spaces . -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-04-26 16:57 file1 2space_File.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-04-26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have two commands “ls -h” and “ls -ltr”. How do i make sure “ls -ltr” is run after “ls -h” is suc

help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expanding a list of wildcard filenames with spaces

I think I must be missing something obvious but I have a file containing a list of files and paths, some with wildcard, others with spaces. e.g. /this/is/a/file /this/is/a/directory/ /this/is/a/collection/* /this/has spaces/in/it /this/had spaces/and/list/of/files*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
6 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)