Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pipe between Childs
Top Forums Programming Pipe between Childs Post 302728195 by Corona688 on Wednesday 7th of November 2012 12:51:41 PM
Old 11-07-2012
Shows what error message?

sort doesn't need cat's help to read more than one file, which should make your problem significantly easier -- no pipe at all. sort file1 file2 ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any cmd to kill a process including its childs ( or sub processes spawned by

Dear Unix Gurus, Here is my query. If i start a script,it inturn calls many other scripts ..and most of them continue to run in parallel. Suppose,if i want to stop my script for some reason,i need to kill -9 each of the processes running.It becomes clumsy if the sub processes r more. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill a process and its childs given pid and userid

I need to write a shell script which would take 2 arguments pid , userid. Then it should kill all the child process under it. If a child process is not killed then it should wait for 1 minute and should kill. can anybody give me the idea to write it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani_g
0 Replies

3. Programming

share file descriptor between childs

#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <signal.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <string.h> #define BUFF_SIZE 256 #define CHILDS 4 #define DATAFILE "Client_Files.txt" void worker(int n);... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlcpereira
3 Replies

4. Programming

forking. sharing global data in childs

hi, i want to write a code for forking 3 4 child. n wants that every child process one of the account from global account list. i wrote a program for that, but problem is every child is processing every account in list. what can me done to avoid it. attaching code with it #include <stdio.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anup13
2 Replies

5. Programming

Need help with fork, forking multiple childs and shared memory

Hi all, I m writing an application, where i need to fork multiple childs and those child should handle particular task given to them. More descriptive. For example, suppose i have 4 Network, each network has multiple nodes. Now on the basis of network child should be forked and these child... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpmeforlinux
8 Replies

6. Programming

waiting for multiple childs - C - waitpid

Hi gurus, I would like to fork more children and then write their return values: so far I tried: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <errno.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> int main(void) { pid_t pid; int rv=0, i; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use pipe

Hi, guys: I am working on my shell using c. How can I use pipe to implement the following? ls -l 1>> | grep hellp 1<< 2>> | less 2<< (the output of ls goes to grep, and the output of grep goes to less) Thanks Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

9. Programming

How Can I share a socket between childs?

Hello guys! I had seen some posts at this forum talking about my problem, but maybe my scenario is a little different, and I want other solutions. I saw users of this forums saying that the way to shared sockets is using UNIX Sockets, but this is the only way in my scenario? My Scenario:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: serpens11
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)